Not so technical question - butt pad screw plugs

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Foxnut

Re: Not so technical question - butt pad screw plugs

Post by Foxnut »

Stan Hillis wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:10 am I've mentioned this before, but once again. My Fox SWE 20 bird gun is faced with leather from my Grandad's old duck hunting coat. He was fond of drifting the Savannah River on extremely cold days, when all the ponds were iced over and all the ducks were on running water. He'd hire a local guy to paddle him and keep the boat straight. The paddler didn't have a gun, but got paid and a share of the "spoils".

Every time I hunt with that little Sterly it reminds me of the good times hunting and fishing with my Grandad. Nostalgia can be a strong thing.
Stan, very cool that you have the leather from your grandfather’s hunting coat on the Sterlingworth 20! Yes nostalgia is a powerful thing! The reason I am absorbed with Foxes, Model 31’s, 11-48’s and case knives is because of my Dad and PawPaw! My Dad as a hobby/small business did leather work for years. Horse halters, bridles, belts, etc. there is still a small stash of leather in the basement that I may have to sort through and find a piece or two that would work. Thanx
Regards - Foxnut
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I checked a genuine S.W. Silvers & Co pad that's new but missing its plugs and the holes are about .625/630" diameter. From this I'd say the pad on your L Fox SBT gun with ~.590" diameter holes is a repro by some vintage or modern maker.

I also checked the plugs in my parts bin and they're all about .580" diameter and thus will not make a compression fit into your L Grade pad with its missing plug. Best I can do Brett is to bring a few of the longer ones to the Northeast SxS and you can pick out one that's a good color match, then you cut it to length and use painters tape or similar to get a tight fit as previously described. So that means you'll have to bring the L Fox SBT or at least its back end to HH. Best perhaps to bring the gun and have a fancy shooter for our WC Letterman SBT event. Please send me a reminder PM a few days before HH if that's what you want me to do. frank
Last edited by Silvers on Sat May 18, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Silvers wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:37 pm I checked a genuine S.W. Silvers & Co pad that's new but missing its plugs and the holes are about .625/630" diameter. From this I'd say the pad on your L Fox with ~.590" diameter holes is a repro by some vintage or modern maker.

I also checked the plugs in my parts bin and they're all about .580" diameter and will not make a compression fit into your L Grade pad with missing plug. Best I can do Brett is to bring a few of the longer ones to the Northeast SxS and you can pick out one that's a good color match, then cut it to length and use painters tape or similar to get a tight fit as previously described. So that means you'll have to bring the L Fox SBT or at least its back end to HH. Please send me a reminder PM a few days before HH if that's what you want me to do. frank
Frank,
Thanks for checking. I’ll send a reminder prior to Hausmann’s and bring it along. Will be fun to shoot it again! Regards - Brett
Regards - Foxnut
Rockland Farm

Post by Rockland Farm »

A wrap or two of electricians tape always worked for me.
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

wrap the plug in one layer or two of electrical tape. that will snug it up.

Edit, I did not see the above reply suggesting the same thing initially.
,Brian Dudley