Why is the attendance at SxS events down?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Mike of the Mountain

Re: Why is the attendance at SxS events down?

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Craig has some good ideas. Maybe we can set up 2017 that on Thursday and Saturday squads can go out without a trapper for say $30 round instead of $50 and shoot "for fun", not be included in the competition scores and not be included in a chance to win a trophy. Of course the guys in the various competitions will have a trapper with them. As for an NSCA trapper cetification? Not going to happen. They get trained here and no reason for them to pay $20 to a national organization that has nothing to do with these events. We don't even use NSCA rules for the most part in these shoots. Field Rules, gun doesn't go bang-Lost Bird(s), no changing choke tubes (if you have one of those guns), etc. We did have a Flush and practice set up at the 5-Stand for guys/gals who just wanted to get some practice or try a new gun or just play. That will be set up again next year. We will be discussing/implementing new ideas in our planning meetings. We have another this week and these items will be discussed. Granted, not all ideas can even be considered as logistically, some things just can't be done. We will have trophies and PLENTY of gauge/action type specific events for those who "thrive on competition"!! Hope to see new shooters next year, even you guys who "only hunt" will benefit from breaking sporting targets. Onward and upward!!! :D BTW, as for attendance, this is our highest attended shoot that is not a charity or corporate event. We went from 63 last year to 105 plus reentries this year and we're looking at another increase for 2017!!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Mike first you are a true gentleman for moving the date, second your facility is first class and your targets are challenging but very breakable. Your plans for 2017 seem perfect, something for everyone. I am already excited and believe I can recruit some new participants from New York. Thanks
Mother ducker

Post by Mother ducker »

I came to your shoot last year, loved it! Work got in the way this year. I thought there was something for everyone with the event and games. If anything I think the games is where you could make it better. Games more geared to force people together old school. We ran dove shoots (basketball's pig or horse game with a shotgun) and all kinds of modified protection shoots (shoot with a backup shooter), the people who participated in these shoots loved it and they really brought everyone together over all skill levels.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Mike you've got my attention. What are the dates for 2017?
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

fullchoke16 wrote:Mike you've got my attention. What are the dates for 2017?

http://www.foxcollectors.com/My%20Forum ... f=8&t=7148
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

fullchoke16 wrote:Mike you've got my attention. What are the dates for 2017?
September 14,15 16 & 17 of 2017.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Thanks guys. I should have looked a little farther.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Phillip Woody

Post by Phillip Woody »

Craig, as a new member that attended both events in PA this year, I'd say my first impressions/observations are mostly in line with what the more experienced members mentioned below.

I think there are many people that want more of a "rendezvous" type experience where people gather to discuss, display & celebrate all things associated with classic double guns. Many of those individuals would also like to do some casual non-competitive shooting at their leisure, if possible. They would be fine with throwing their own targets. At both events I had nice people approach me in the parking area and ask if I could direct them to the "wingshooters" course.

I also recognize and respect the better shooters that want to compete for championship status. The competitions attract many good, key people from within and outside the collectors associations and beyond. They contribute to the overall event in many ways. How many of those people would we lose if there were no competitive events???

I think it starts with advertising and promotion of the events themselves, and how they are covered/portrayed in the various collector association newsletters and forums. Do you want to promote a SXS Championship or an American SXS Collector's Exhibition & Championship...or whatever other name or theme folks may recommend?

These are just my thoughts and observations as a new person from the outside looking in. I hope they provide some food for thought. And if I'm out of line with any of it, please tell me so. Thanks.
arcmaster

Post by arcmaster »

Mr. Woody;

I thought that your comments were insightful and right on the money. The thought of a mix between both is an intriguing idea. A cover all bases approach would seem to me to be a good tactic.

thanks for your input.
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

Food for thought Mr Woody
Well stated.
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.