20 gauge Sterlingworth with straight stock

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
2X2

Re: 20 gauge Sterlingworth with straight stock

Post by 2X2 »

.603 and .608 must be the muzzle measurements; not the bore. Bore should be between .615-.622.

Don't just look at the drawing, READ!

http://www.parkerguns.org/pages/faq/BarrelThickness.htm

Notice, here it says .025 at 9". Most guns that have .025, it is found about the middle of barrel length; 14-15" where pressure is less than at 9". Guns have been used with .018 at mid barrel. If the bores are good on the gun you are considering, I would'nt worry about .025 at mid-barrel.

http://www.gibbsgunmakers.com/

Here is a nominal pressure chart for various powders, one is black powder. As you can see, even at 9", pressure has dropped considerably and wouldn't be much less at 14".

mollow

Post by mollow »

"There is greater pressure as the gauges go from 12 to 16 to 20 etc. therefore the minimum values might increase."

If this is true, and the gun I'm considering is a 20 gauge, then isn't .026 as one of the barrel thickness measurements a bit on the thin side?
2X2

Post by 2X2 »

Max pressure for a 2 3/4" 12 is 11,500; 20 ga. 12,000 which is minor difference. Did you read on the Gibbs site. Their testing perameter is for 12 thru 28 ga. for .025 thickness.
mollow

Post by mollow »

Yes, I was just reading that. Thanks for your timely response. I appreciate the link.
mollow

Post by mollow »

OK, I can't seem to come to terms with the look of the current stock. I guess I agree with whoever said it looked like a canoe paddle, or it wasn't "foxy" enough. The seller will let it go for 1,600-1,700, but then I'd need to restock it. Won't that set me back 2,000 or so?
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Did you ever look into the .603 & .608" barrel diameters? That sounds like the chokes, and with only .005" delta between the numbers, it's likely one of them was opened up. Possibly both. If that's the case you'll want to be sure it was reamed on the bore axis so that barrel doesn't "shoot off".

Seems like if the gent reported the wall thicknesses, he would know what the bore diameters are.

Regarding restocking, it depends what you want but a TOP SHELF stocker, ACGG level person who is in the business and has a FFL, is going to charge 3-4k plus the cost of a good blank. Silvers
Vol423

Post by Vol423 »

I'll add my two cents here. If you don't want that gun for $2500, PM me with the seller's contact information and I'll buy it.
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

It could be worth it to someone. If I were in the market for a 20ga SW and this one suited me to a "T" , I might pay that much.