What do you take with you to a gun show?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Post Reply
vaturkey
Posts: 3600
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:33 pm
Location: Hamilton, VA
Has thanked: 1034 times
Been thanked: 1474 times

What do you take with you to a gun show?

Post by vaturkey »

Curious what tools does everyone take to a gun show to look over doubles? What are the must haves in everyone's mind?
Gmountain
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Post by Gmountain »

A flashlight.
Brian
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:55 pm
Location: Delaware County, NY
Been thanked: 82 times

tools

Post by Brian »

I take the following:

small tape measure: for LOP, drop, barrel length etc. laying a double down on a flat surface, barrels held down, butt in the air, and measuring to the nose and heel off the table gives pretty accurate dimensions

small dial calipers: for barrel diameters, use in conjucntion with inside calipers to get wall thickness measurements at muzzle

inside dial calipers: for choke dimensions, chamber length, lenth of choke tapers etc. One of the best little tools to have. I mark the legs at 1", 2", 2 1/2" 2 3/4" 3". This allows me to measure chambers and gives idea of length of choke tapers when checking for cut barrels.Brownells Catalog #61, page 384, Part #100-002-230AB

bore light: fibre optic, doesnt need batteries (which are always dead when you need them)
Brian
LTC, IN, USAR
Back in the land of the big PX
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc
President For Life- Southwest Asia Chapter AHFGCA
mc15426378
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Mississippi

Post by mc15426378 »

I carry a tape measure, snap caps, good small flashlight, small machinist's SS ruler, small mirror, and my Galazan bore gauge (left in the car till needed). I also carry a printout of barrel thickness/bores/chokes in case a seller does not believe what my measurements are and what they mean. Last and not least is CASH.

Mike
fullchoke16
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: Western PA
Been thanked: 1 time

Post by fullchoke16 »

Small Maglite,Stanley tape, Starrett telescoping gauges and a Starrett 0-1 mic. and CASH.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
NJdblgun
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Lost Vegas
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Post by NJdblgun »

Yes; cash, ATM bankcard and checkbook, plus small tape rule, and reading glasses. I just got one of the inside gauges described above by Brian, and that will accompany me also from now on; thanks for the earlier information Brian.
eightbore
Posts: 3296
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 433 times

Post by eightbore »

Galazan choke micrometer, tape measure, magnifier. I always forget the flashlight but always need it. I have no cash. If you go to enough shows, you seldom need it. Many dealers just tell you to send a check when you have the money. I can't believe how old I am to have that privilege.
Post Reply