Request for advice

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
AHF

Request for advice

Post by AHF »

I inherited a A grade that Fox 20G Chromox lately. I had seen the gun since approximately 2001, so I opened it up to see how clean the barrels were.
Immediately I found that I couldn't close it again. It appears to me that the shell ejector is not allowing closure. I feel just a little bit more pressure would do it, but I know it should not require that.
It closes up just fine if the FOREND ASSEMBLY is off.
Any advice? Perhaps take it to a gun shop?
IMG_20180612_212230 - Copy.jpg
fullchoke16

Re: Request for advice

Post by fullchoke16 »

From the photo it appears to have a bit of rust on the outside. That would indicate that the inside probably also lacks lubrication. Is the extractor split in the middle? If it is then you have an ejector gun and your problem may have something to do with the ejectors. If that's the case have a gunsmith look into it. If it's an extractor gun, give it a good lube job and see if that makes any difference. If not, again have a gunsmith take a look. Dry rusty parts don't slide very well. Hope this might help.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
vaturkey

Re: Request for advice

Post by vaturkey »

I'd take the forearm off and take the barrels off the frame. Ejectors should be in the fired (i.e. extended position) if the triggers were pulled prior to opening. You would normally be able to push those ejectors back in the cocked position using just your fingers. If you can't they may be frozen in the outward position. Short version of above it some lube may take care of the problem, but it sounds like a strip, clean and lube is required. Just make sure Bubba doesn't do it. I've seen some destroyed screws done by Bubba's over the years who didn't even know how to remove a buttstock from the frame on a Fox. IMO this is where a ultrasonic cleaner shines.