16 ga choke meaurement

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
imnsane

16 ga choke meaurement

Post by imnsane »

I am aquiring a 16 ga Sterlingworth (serial # 555,xxx) with 26" barrels in unaltered condition. The inside diameters of the barrels at the muzzle are .630" and .622" which seem extraordinarily tight for a "brush" gun. I don't have tool to mic bore diameter below choke to determine variance of constriction. From info available to me without patterning, these measures would indicate that both bores are "extra full" chokes. Is this probable and if not what am I doing wrong? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

What tool did you size muzzles with?
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I assume your s/n is a typo and it is really 355xxx. I measured a 16 SW that's on the bench right now and its bores are .654/.655". Using .655" that would make it 25 and 33 points for the gun you're considering. Fairly tight. There is some variation in 16 gauge Fox bores and yours may be closer to the .662" that's taken as standard. I'd suggest you pattern the gun, 30" circle at 40 yards. Much cheaper than buying a bore gauge and you'll be able to calculate the actual choke percentages where it counts. Silvers
Aan
imnsane

Post by imnsane »

I very mush appreciate the responses to my inquiry re: 16 ga chokes. Will respond ASAP. thank for your initial response. jb