unusual two barrel trap/skeet/field? gun at Ivory Beads

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
al smith

unusual two barrel trap/skeet/field? gun at Ivory Beads

Post by al smith »

Has anyone taken a look at the unusual Utica era "trapper" (their terminology) two barrel set 12 ga. for sale at ivory beads. Engraving is rather unique, both barrels have vent ribs. All in all an interesting gun. Is it original (looks like it to me from pics)?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

O.K. who snagged this one. I called before noon on Tuesday the 29th, Jim & Jerry's first day back after their Argentine Dove trip, and it was gone!!
Share the knowledge
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

Dave I think that gun was gone the minute it appeared. I thought that gun was most unusual. IMHO that was either a Skeet gun or trap gun with the second set of bbls added later. I would think a factory combo would have had two forends but I could be wrong. I also noticed the top of the frame was rebated but the trigger plate was not. The vent ribs appeared original and the frame filing was correct for a vent rib gun. I hope someone on this board ended up with it and plans on lettering the gun. Paul
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Lets put it like this, I fed-xed them a check on the 18th.....I was told (by them when they returned) it was sold before that. Whether it was "right" or wrong I liked it and would still like it. Ahhh yes....the hunt!!
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Guns of the "Skeeter" grade from the 1931 catalogues and price lists, the Trap-Grade from 32 to 34 price lists and the SPR-Grade from the 1936 Catalogue and price lists, are all pretty scarce. This gun looked to me like an SPR-Grade Skeet & Upland Game Gun in comparing it to the picture in the 1936 Wholesale Price List. But, whether it was a Trap Grade with an extra set of Skeet barrels or an SPR-Grade S&UGG with an extra set of Trap barrels is immaterial.

I didn't notice that the bottom of the frame wasn't rebated and I didn't save out the pictures from Ivory Beads web site.
Share the knowledge