Stock color

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
terc

Stock color

Post by terc »

Hi, I have a quick question about Fox wood color. I bought a Fox C grade that has been restocked. I want to refinish it. The wood is a little proud at places and the color is not quite right. I've done a search and can find a lot of advice about finishes, oil, varnish, ect. , but none about the actual stain. I have used Galazan's Winchester red in the past. Doe anyone have other stain recommendations ?
Thanks, Dave
Brian Dudley

Re: Stock color

Post by Brian Dudley »

I would not recommend the winchester red stain. You will end up with a stock that looks, well, like a winchester. And far too red.

Without seeing what your stock looks like now, it is hard to tell what you have going on. But, if the wood is light and figure does not pop, chances are it is just the type of finish on it.

Finishes that are more of an "on the surface type" that do not penetrate into he wood much result in a lighter color to the wood and do not do much for enhancing the figure. Many spray urethanes, lacquers and tru-oil can be like this.

A deep penetrating sealer or finish will darken the wood and bring the figure up. A very good penetrating sealer is Permalyn. Another good product for ground wet sanding sealer coats is Danish oil. Timberluxe is also a good finish for enhancing the figure and for darkening the color. It has a little bit of an amber color to it. And they offer a stain also that is very good that if needed, can be applied directly to the wood, or even over the finish coats.

I personally use Timberluxe, but also use a lot of Amber Shellac as finish. Not only is it a good period finish, but it also has the color right in the finish that will darken and "red" up the color of the wood.

I personally do not believe in the use of stains in stock finishes. unless you are trying to blend a repair her something, it is always best to work with the wood in it's natural state. And pick a finish that works best for what you are trying to achieve.

Again, your issue may more be that the current finish was just not the best selection for the look you are wanting. Just stripping it down and trying something that is more penetration might solve your issue.
,Brian Dudley
terc

Post by terc »

Thanks Brian, I may try the Timberlux. I have always assumed that bare wood had to be stained before finishes were applied. I'll experiment with a few small areas before I do the entire stock.
Dave
Sterlingwyat

Post by Sterlingwyat »

I'm not trying to change topic, but many of the pre 64 Winchesters including model 12,21,and many lever guns have a sort of light honey, or walnut color to the stock, I have seen some red ones, but the browns are more common on original guns I've seen. As for Foxes go, I've never really looked at higher grades hard, but all the clean Sterlingworths I see have that honey color I am talking about. The L.C Smith fields typically have it too, though many darkened with use and age, as did the Foxes, and many other classics.