Barrel removal

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Zigzag

Barrel removal

Post by Zigzag »

Being a new owner of a Fox/Savage model b, I am unsure on removing the barrel on this 20ga. sxs. Can't find a good video that shows anything about it. It appears that the forend spring is holding it in place but there is a lot of tension on it. Looking for help.
Mylin73

Re: Barrel removal

Post by Mylin73 »

Gun should be closed, insert finger into space between forend wood and barrels and pull tip away from barrels. This usually requires a pretty good amount of pressure but is only held in place by spring tension. The forend must come off to remove the barrels, once removed simply open the action and the barrels will lift out of the frame.
Zigzag

Post by Zigzag »

Wood forestock held on by single machine screw and then slides forward to remove. Once removed barrel does not lift out when opened.
Mylin73

Post by Mylin73 »

Should not have to remove any screw from forend for dis-assembly. Sounds like somebody did their own "fix" to tighten the forend wood to the iron. I think by your description that you are simply removing the wood and leaving the iron and latching mechanism behind. The whole forend and latch needs to "pop" away from the barrels for removal. Should require no tools or screw removal.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

B Models do have a single exposed screw. Put the screw back in. Slip your finger into the concave end at the fore end tip under the barrels and pull straight down. Do it over a carpeted floor to avoid any stupid marks in case it gets away from you. It happens to all of us. The wood and the iron have to be removed to take the barrels off.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Zigzag

Post by Zigzag »

Well that was just to easy. Thought I was going to have to break the cutting torch out. Thanks gentlemen!
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

You're welcome. To quote Red Green "it's just that easy".
Recoil is most noticed when I miss