Fox Double Barrel 16 Gauge

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
kbook

Fox Double Barrel 16 Gauge

Post by kbook »

Hello all,
I am new to the site and new to this gun. I just recently acquired a "Sterlingworth Made by A.H. Fox, Philadelphia, PA" The model is a Double Barrel 16 gauge. The gun is actually is pretty good shape. Minor wear on the wood stock but nothing major. I'm looking to get some more info on the gun such as how old it is? And its estimated value? Not for selling purposes but more just curious. The serial number of the gun is 360170.
Thanks in advance!
fullchoke16

Re: Fox Double Barrel 16 Gauge

Post by fullchoke16 »

Guesstimated date of manufacture-1926. Without seeing the gun but considering it to be in average condition I'll guess at somewhere between $700 and $1500. Barrel length,stock configuration,presence of ejectors, single trigger,etc. can also have an effect on value.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
kbook

Post by kbook »

Thanks so much for the info and reply. I'm taking the gun out tonight to shoot. Afterwards I will take some pics and post them so you can get a better feel for the gun.
kbook

Post by kbook »

kbook

Post by kbook »

The Barrel Length is 28". I shot the gun last night and it works perfect and both barrels are accurate as heck! As you can see in the pics the gun is in good shape and fully functional. Now that you have more info could you give me a more "accurate" year and value on the gun?
Thanks everyone
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The only way to get accurate date information on your Sterlingworth is to order a letter on the gun from the Savage/Stevens/Fox Historian, John Callahan --

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/con ... tters.html
Share the knowledge
kbook

Post by kbook »

Okay I understand, I will just take guessestimates. Based on the style and looks of the gun do you still think 1926 ish? What about a estimated value (again opinions are fine not looking for facts here). Thanks
gunut

Post by gunut »

Id say its worth in the 900 -975 range..[average condition, case color mostly gone, pad added {nice vintage pad}]..and 1926 is it for year of manufacture, but without a letter you cant be sure.....should make a nice upland fox....
gunut
kbook

Post by kbook »

What choke would this be? And what would the chamber length be? I don't know how to figure this out. Thanks
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Most Sterlingworths with 28* barrels are choked full in the left and modified in the right. Chamber length will be 2 9/16* in a 16 gauge. The pictures seem to show some oil accumulation in the stock just behind the action (the blackish color). I wouldn't be shooting anything more than 1 oz. loads due to the stress on the stock head.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss