AE Fox single barrel

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Bernard

AE Fox single barrel

Post by Bernard »

interested in date of manufacture and value of single barrel AE Fox #400477
TOOL MAN

Re: AE Fox single barrel

Post by TOOL MAN »

Hello Bernard,

Curious why you refer to this gun as an "AE" grade? The 400,xxx range were single barrel trap guns available in J-K-L and M grades, the vast majority being J's. If you go to our home page and click "Fox Gun Grades" you will see a few pictures of a J-grade. Virtually impossible to determine a ship date without a factory letter from John Callahan. I can tell you they were introduced to the market in late 1919 with the last one shipping out in early 1936. What else can you tell us about your gun? Can you post pictures? If you would like me to assist with that, feel free to send them to me at: cambo6789@gmail.com
SC
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

I made an error. it is an AH Fox single barrel trap.
i have photos. will send to your email.
thanks. b
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

If you join AHFCA, you are entitled to one free lookup per year.
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Here are the pics sent from Bernard. I explained to him the rules for non-members on the forum. The gun is owned by a close friend who is looking for an approximate valuation. Rather difficult as this SBT has had several modifications (incredible as that may sound!) Always best to review Guns International, GunBroker and the auction houses for a rough idea on what the market is paying.

FWIW, here are my cursory observations with color commentary: K-Grade. If you expand the stock pic you will see the butt-end has been cut/spliced and affixed to what appears to be a Morgan-type extender. (Hand me a Nitro tab....only a trap shooter would commit such a heinous act on what looks to be a stunning piece of lumber!!) Atypical grip cap. Replacement rib. Note thicker posts and absence of pin. Anyone care to venture a guess on what it might be worth?

Well "Murph" I guess that leaves us only 74 unmolested K-Grades to choose from, huh??? Notttttttt. Someday we need to call-in the excavators, drill-down and attempt a fact-based assessment on just how many factory original Fox SBT's still exist. I believe the now legendary, 2011 Fox SBT Reunion out at Hidden Hollow was indicative of just how small the actual number may be!

Thanks for sharing Bernard. What a most timely hors d'oeuvre for the main course serving a fortnight hence. :wink: :wink:

fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

If the gun functions I would say $2250. assuming the replacement rib is sound and nicely done. I would be tempted to restore it with and original rib and posts which I believe Jason Barton has.
The stock could be made more presentable with a standard pad and extension if possible. A worthy project for the right person which is not me unless a trap gun can be used to kill ducks!
I am really way out on a limb on this one. I feel for you guys collecting SBT's so may cobbled up.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The rib posts appear to be late sixties Simmons oval posts. They may have made these posts much later than the sixties. If the buttstock has been cut, it would be a good candidate for a butt transplant behind the checkering. You should order a card of provenance from Mr. Callahan or AHFCA to see if someone famous owned this gun. We would also like to see more pictures.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

It appears that the back end of the replacement rib transitions into the top of the barrel breech at an angle, as compared with the Fox rib that's perpendicular and cross-pinned. If that's correct then Simmons or whoever had modified the breech and that's going to compound trying to replace with a real Fox rib and its floating style barrel standoffs. JMO based on that one pic which I expanded.
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

What's that they say about "great minds?" (terrible things to waste) I had $2,000--$2,500 scratched on a Post-it but was afraid of being crucified. We must determine what the statute of limitations is on the unlawful desecration of such rare artwork!
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Cosmetics aside, is the choke and bore original? Nobody likes to mess with that more than a trap shooter.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Perhaps if the vent rib for the Fox SBT had been better we wouldn't see all these Ernie Simmons replacements!! :?

There are over ten times as many Ithaca Knicks out there as Fox SBTs, yet I've seen more Fox SBTs with replacement ribs.

P.S. The K-Grade Fox SBT in Conley's book also has a Simmons rib.
Share the knowledge
kgb

Post by kgb »

Beyond the tongue-in-cheek complaints about Trapshooters and what they always have done with guns designed to be used, the warnings about Fox SBT rib design constitute a valuable insight for shoppers on the lookout. Only local gun I've heard about was sold some time back, I figure an Ithaca will have to be my SBT acquisition some day.
Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I am not much of a detractor of the Fox single barrel rib. I think it is just fine if it stays in place. I have seen Fox single barrel ribs and levers in need of repair. However, I have seen Fox singles that have no problem with the rib or the lever. I own three Fox singles that have no problem with ribs or levers and I am very happy with them. I am disappointed that those who have had problems with Fox single barrel ribs have chosen to have Simmons replace the original ribs.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

thanks to all for your comments.
i will pass/have passed the info to my friend.
he may decide to sell it; he is getting quite "old", and is turning 90 soon.
Bernard
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Before you decide to put this gun on the market, please order a letter from this site. Any interesting ownership provenance could outweigh the less than original modifications made to this gun.