Recoil Pad / Butt Plate

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jeff S

Recoil Pad / Butt Plate

Post by Jeff S »

I've been absolutely amazed with the work you guys do on your guns. So let me ask for your opinions. My favorite shotgun is a 1922 Sterlingworth. It is not in good shape, but I love using it for skeet and partridge. The recoil pad (looks similar to a Hawkins) is literally crumbling and needs to be replaced. If I buy a replacement pad and try to fit it to the stock on my own, there are two possible outcomes. I could get great pride and satisfaction from my accomplishment, or, I could be very unhappy and have to send it to a gunsmith. Any bets? If I do it on my own, what should I use to "shape" the pad. How about using an orbital sander, before the pad is attached to the stock? I'll bet a few of you guys have done this.
Twice Barrel

Re: Recoil Pad / Butt Plate

Post by Twice Barrel »

In my reckless youth I used to do my own recoil pad installation but I had access to a veridical disc sander. Most turned out OK but some didn't and I ended up refinishing the whole stock to fix my screw ups. Now I pop for the $40.00 to have my stock man do it. He has the jig and equipment to do it correctly and it helps keep him in business.
oldMan1943

Post by oldMan1943 »

Check out the 2nd post, he gave two addresses to purchase a butt plate.

http://foxcollectors.com/My%20Forum/php ... =15&t=5951
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I'd go for a pro to do it. I'd also either use a Jostam Reproduction pad from Galazan or a Noshoc from the same place. Any period correct pad will be right. Hopefully your current pad is the same thickness as what the replacements are so you won't have to have the stock cut.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

If you want to do it, a vertical belt sander works the best. Also watch your shaping on the toe, that's where most people encounter problems.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I do it on my own and it turns out good, I'll send a picture. If I do it on my own and it doesn't turn out, you guys will never find out. "Twice Barrel" I agree with you 100%, unfortunately the quote I received was in the $125 - $150 range. Seemed high, but I could be wrong.
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Contact Clint Meier at www.cgm-gunstockcheckering.com. His prices are a whole lot better and his work is excellent.