20ga XE Trimmed barrels?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Fritz

20ga XE Trimmed barrels?

Post by Fritz »

I have a couple of questions someone may be able to answer.
I had a respected gunsmith check out my 20ga. XE.
He told me that the barrels had been dressed or trimmed. Tag says 26 inch, barrels measure 3/32" under. I am reading from some other posts that this is not uncommon from the factory. He said further evidence was that the solder visible at the end of the barrels, between the barrels, was not cross hatched (see pic).
Center of the front ivory bead to the barrel end is a hair over 1/4"

Also he said the stock had been shortened. It measures the correct 14 inches to the end of the rubber and leather pad which he said was not original. Other pictures of these guns I have seen show an identical red rubber pad with leather butt
Last edited by Fritz on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: 20ga XE Trimmed barrels?

Post by fox-admin »

Sure looks 100% original to me, no question. A letter will tell you how the gun left the factory. More pictures of this beautiful gun please. Better look for a new gunsmith. Join the AHFCA and you can request a copy of the original factory card. What is the serial number.
Fritz

Post by Fritz »

I have the letter and tag that state 14 inch with no mention of a butt plate or pad and barrel length of 26, these measure 25 - 29/32
Last edited by Fritz on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Your gun is right as can be in my opinion. Many fox barrels measure a little short. It is a beautiful example that most of us would love to own. XE 's came standard with a silvers pad and the pad was not called out on the factory card in the majority of cases in my extensive reseach into XE's. Craig
Fritz

Post by Fritz »

He also mentioned that the slight champhered area at the top end of the barrel rib was not factory.
Any ideas on the absent cross hatching?
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

All XE's I have examined have the champhered end to the top rib it's 100% correct. The only Fox guns with cross hatches at the end of the barrels are CSMC Foxes
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Fritz,

Change gunsmiths immediately..... or at least keep your Fox(s) away from him. I concur with Craig's input.

Sounds like you have a special gun there.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The gun is right as rain and would be described as "original" if ever offered for sale or display. I would buy that gun.
Fritz

Post by Fritz »

This is all very helpful. The photo Silvers posted shows an identical scallop and also shows the same placement of the front sight.
Last edited by Fritz on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Post by Brian »

My Foxes almost all measure 1/16" to 1/8" short of the whole number of what they should be for barrel length and they all letter correctly. I try to measure every Fox I come across and I have only =found one or two that measured exactly at the whole number; 26" actually being 26" for example.
But, and there is always a but; I do have a Sterlingworth Skeet & Upland 12 Ga. with 26" barrels that actually measure 26 1/4" and it letters with 26".

I agree, your gunsmith doesn't know Foxes at all
Brian
LTC, IN, USAR
Back in the land of the big PX
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc
President For Life- Southwest Asia Chapter AHFGCA
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I edited my earlier post to add some info but got sidetracked, so I deleted it with intent to post later when I had time. Here it is.

That "scallop" on the top rib is typical for C Grade and higher. Yes, sometimes Fox barrels are a little short of exact length. Assuming the steel keels are intact, 3/32" short can be OK. Often the keels have a very thin coating of solder. Try pushing a sewing straight pin into the soft solder to feel if there's a hard steel surface underneath.

For MEMBERS interested in Fox steel barrel keels - there's a thread on the third page of the MEMBERS FORUM titled: Fox Barrel Keels - show & tell.

birdawg

Post by birdawg »

Did your gunsmith offer to buy the gun?
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Your gunsmith sounds like a good guy. My guess is the gun has been patched together here and there. Sounds like a parts gun. I'll give ya $200 for it. :lol: :shock:
mark beasland

Post by mark beasland »

Do the barrels touch? Is there choke? if so how much and how long is the tapper?