gunshop in charlotte nc

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
tony williamson

gunshop in charlotte nc

Post by tony williamson »

Well im sick. I took my gun there to get the ejectors fixed, and they have got something on the underside of my barrels that has eaten and discolored the near perfect blueing. Ruined the look of my shotgun. Sick.
tony williamson

Re: gunshop in charlotte nc

The gunsmith said he honed my right chamber out to help the ejector. Could that have built up enough heat to discolor the bottom rib?
ViperR

Post by ViperR »

What gun shop?
tony williamson

I hate to name names, the largest one in the state of nc. The more i look at the pattern of discolor on the rib and barrels, im sure heat was the culprit.
tony williamson

Ok..i let my britches down and showed my dumb ass...it wasnt heat...it was an ultrasonic cleaner. And the head gunsmith touched up my rib and i have stopped puking now.
tony williamson

Let me say one more thing here...im thankful the gunsmith touched it up. Very thankful. Having said that, the barrels were originally pristine. Now even though they look good, 5% or so is not original. So...if they know the ultrasonic can do that sometimes, why would you put a pristine set of barrels in there? Just a thought...
CableguyJJS3

Post by CableguyJJS3 »

I would think it was whatever solution they used in the ultrasonic that did the damage not the unit itself. And why they would use any kind of caustic solution in an ultrasonic cleaner is beyond me. The purpose of the ultrasonic is to clean without damage. The sound waves and the low heat do all the work. I have used an ultrasonic for years and years to clean all types of things and never had any damage done. Heck I have even boiled assembled actions on the stove in purple power and never did any damage, I can't even imagine how they discolored blueing in an ultrasonic tank. Sorry for the bad experience though. But another question I'd ask is why they felt honing the chambers would help a sticky ejector....that doesn't make much sense to me either
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

I had a gunsmith really screw up some barrel work on a beautiful CE---it happens but makes you sick.
Every time I looked at the gun I got pissed---the only way I could get over it was have the gun fixed right and sell the gun.
I now give my gunsmith/restorer explicit written instructions and firm instructions not to comprise original finishes without consulting with me.
Good luck. Craig Larter
tony williamson

I think the problem is the head smith gave the apprentice too much leeway in making decisions about what to do. The younger smiths dont know the importance of original finishes and he gave it back with the blueing messed up on the rib , he didnt think anything it. What if that had been a pristine D grade parker worth about 20 k...but the head smith said that happens sometimes with the ultrasonic tank. I'll try to post some pics , but beware of that thing. If you have a gun that has great blueung dont do it. Taking a chance.it did affect mostly the rib but messed the barrels a little too. On the barrels it looked like fingerprints that wouldnt come off. Blueing on the rib was just gone. It made a pattern because of the pads it was on. Its better, but its not like it was.
tony williamson

Oh and they charged me $245 for a pad install ( i provided pad) and the ejector. And ruining the blueing. Hard lesson learned.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The shells eject just fine if the chamber is enlarged to the next size (gauge). The slide out real easy. OK, fess up, who was that gunsmith or gun shop? Can you post pictures of the pad installation? I am thinking of having one done.
gwsmith

Post by gwsmith »

Has to be Carolina Sporting Arms from his description
tony williamson

Nope, wasnt carolina sporting. The guys are nice guys, it was just an unfortunate thing. One of my favorite gurus said he thought he could fix it real good the right way.
tony williamson

I"ll post pics soon. I have to work all weekend so i'll be unable to send pics until monday, but i will then if yall will help me.
ViperR

Post by ViperR »

If it was the 'largest gun shop' my guess is Hyatt on Wilkinson. And $245 for a pad install and ejector fitting is way to much $$. They are very expensive.