New Sterlingworth and help with rust

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Mills

New Sterlingworth and help with rust

Post by Mills »

I just bought a new Sterlingworth 16 this weekend. The price was really right, but it has some rust on it. Looks like the last owner neglected it a little. I scrubbed it with some oil and steel wool and now it just looks like dark spotting instead of rust. Any other suggestions to keep the rust gone and possibly to clean up the spotting?
ranmcc

Re: New Sterlingworth and help with rust

Post by ranmcc »

Try getting it shiny and put a little cold bluing on it then some oil.
Mills

Post by Mills »

That was my original plan, but the action has a surprising amount of case colors left which I want to keep. The part of the barrels right around the action seems to have got the worst of the rust. No pitting inside the barrels though
Tom-ADC

Post by Tom-ADC »

Use a Blue Wonder kit to get it shiny, their cleaner when used with scotchbrite removes rust and bluing, but when used with 0000 steel wool just rust.
Do a google search.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Thanks for the responses. 8)
Mills

Post by Mills »

The Blue Wonder came today and seems to have worked really well. Traces of the rust remain, but I don't want to go further and risk removing the remaining case coloring. Thanks for the lead!