Engraver recommendation

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Stan Hillis

Engraver recommendation

Post by Stan Hillis »

Do any of our members have experience with having Fox receiver engraving recut? I am planning to anneal a Philly A grade receiver (with early style engraving) and send it out to be cyanide case hardened but would like to get the worn engraving chased after annealing and prior to the case-hardening process. I am looking for recommendations on someone to do the chasing. First hand information would be greatly appreciated. I know that any good engraver should be able to do this, but would feel much better with personal recommendations.

Thanks, Stan
eightbore

Re: Engraver recommendation

Post by eightbore »

Thierry Duguet up here in Charlottesville reengraved a Parker VH project gun for me a few years ago. He also restored the engraving on a prewar Midas Grade Browning for me. An early A should be a piece of cake for him. google for his website if you want to see his work. Make your engraver aware that you want all lines to be bold and that he has pictures that show what an early A should look like. Good luck, Stan. See you soon.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Thanks, Bill. I will google him, and probably give him a call.

My best to you and the lovely Ms. Linda.

Stan
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

I highly recommend Geoffrey Gournet in Easton, PA. He has done many projects for me both simple and complex.
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Stan Hillis wrote: I am planning to anneal a Philly A grade receiver (with early style engraving) and send it out to be cyanide case hardened
Who do you plan to do the cyanide case hardening?

I'm sure that you are aware that Fox used a bone/charcoal color case method prior to about 1916.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I am aware of that, TwiceBarrel, and after looking at photos of work (cyanide) that was done by the shop I am considering, I am really having second thoughts. But, in all fairness, their website pics don't include any Foxes they have done. I will ask for pics of some. I am planning to call them, Ron's Gun Shop in Oshkosh, and talk with them about whether or not the cyanide colors have to come out so bright. I know that charcoal pack can be controlled so that the colors are either really bright, or subdued. I would like to know if the cyanide c/c can be kept a bit subdued, and have the mottled, swirling effect of the Foxes. I this can't be done I may just go with the charcoal pack and request that it be done as similar to early Foxes as possible. I don't care for the tiger stripe patterns, as on H & R, Perazzi, etc.

The phone call to Oshkosh should help me decide.

Thanks for asking, SRH