Central Pa SxS shoot 2013

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
trapshooter

Central Pa SxS shoot 2013

Post by trapshooter »

Central Pa SxS Shoot
April 6, 2013
Blue Ridge Sportsman’s Club
http://www.blueridgesportingclays.com/
Harrisburg Pa.
50 or 100 target Sporting Clays
25 target Wobble Trap
25 target 5 stand
9:00am to 3:00pm

Contact
Chuck Bishop
717-579-5131
pgcaresearch@verizon.net
Chuck Bishop
Silvers

Re: Central Pa SxS shoot 2013

Post by Silvers »

EDIT: Just so our readers know and in follow-up to the third post here - this is not an offical AHFCA shooting event that's sponsored or run by the AHFCA. That means that annual and life AHFCA members are not covered by AHFCA insurance if you participate. The comments that follow are my personal ones only.

I'd like to bring this back to the top. Chuck does a nice job organizing his shoot and I thank him for his efforts. It's at a good time of year to shake off the cabin fever, and well before folks shove off for the Southern SxS. We have many Foxers who live within an hour or so of Blue Ridge which is located just a few miles off I-81 north of Harrisburg, PA (close to Fort Indiantown Gap if you know where that is). It sure would be nice to have a Fox gang there. The link provided by Chuck gives the directions. Blue Ridge is a great club with an excellent course and facilities. Not a very good shot yourself? Well almost all who participate aren't tournament shooters, and it's more about popping a few caps while making contacts/friends with gents and gals who also like Foxes, Parkers, Smiths, etc.

I'll be at Blue Ridge by 9am on April 6 unless something major comes up. Several Fox guns will be coming along with me for show & tell & shooting; and I hope to see and meet many of our faithful there. And I'll be happy to look at any Foxes that have mechanical issues and make recommendations. Need your chambers, bores or chokes measured? I'll have my measuring stuff there for our gang. SATURDAY APRIL 6. Please mark it on you calendars. Frank
Last edited by Silvers on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Is this a AHFCA event??

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

No Tom, the Central PA SxS isn't an offical AHFCA shooting event. The only (two) shooting events listed in our Association insurance are the Northeast Side by Side at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow where we offer our annual Bo-Whoop Long Range shoot, and the Vintage Cup with our annual Ansley H Fox Championship. The AHFCA is not sponsoring or running the Central PA SxS in any manner; and I will edit my reply to Chuck's post to clarify that.
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

I will strongly second the motion made by my esteemed colleague "Silvers" to urge more Foxers to attend this event!!
Chuck is a hell of a nice guy (despite his devotion to those infernal hinge-pinned contraptions...LOL!!) who regularly travels long distances to attend shows up here in CT and even our fun shoot at Addieville. It's a good 5-6 hour, one-way drive for me and I'm strongly considering it. We need to support these types of events, so in the words of Nike, "Just Freakin' Do It!!!"------TOOL
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
trapshooter

Post by trapshooter »

Frank, thanks for your kind comments. Let me add a few things. Blue Ridge does have a small kitchen where you can get an egg sandwich and cup of coffee for breakfast and lunch is usually hot dogs/hamburgers/bbq and pies for dessert. We usually go out to a sports bar/grill after shooting ends for wings/ribs/salads, etc. I'm going to try and get a group picture at 9:30.

If anyone wants to display or sell guns, there is a back room extension where you can set up.

Tool Man, you really are a TOOL! It would be nice to see you if you can make it. Just think of it this way, you'll only be 1 1/2hr drive from your beloved Philadelphia!

One last thing, I hear that a contingent of fellow CT Parker shooters are coming to the shoot. Wear your thick skin!

Chuck
Chuck Bishop
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

I plan on being there. It will be my first S X S shoot.

Dalgo
A fox is more a fox from experience, than because it is a fox.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Dalgo I'm sure you'll have a good time. Just some personal comments/info for those who've never been to a SxS event like this. Don't expect to see a real large event like the Southern, Northeast SxS or the Vintage Cup. The procedure is to just show up at Blue Ridge early in the morning like at 8:30-9am or so and hang out, intro yourself to some other shooters and chat, look at guns, etc. Chuck wrote there will be a table in the clubhouse for display guns if anyone wants to bring any. At some point you all get to the clubhouse and sign up for whatever you want to shoot, the cost is nominal for the sporting course. I'll probably shoot the long course = 100 targets = 100 shells. If you don't know someone just ask if you can join a squad. I'd like to get 4-5 other Fox guys or gals to shoot in a squad with me, and if the weather is nice I'll probably trailer down a motorized cart to carry the shells and bags, etc. Most sporting shooters shoot 7.5's or 8's at everything. 3/4 ounce might be a little light on some of the farther targets particularly with a real open choke, but IME 7/8 ounce thru Mod or tighter chokes will break anything. But with that said many shoot their 20 and 16 gauge guns and do well. Again, the majority of gents and gals there will not be serious hot-shot shooters with their pictures on the front covers of Sporting Clays mag. RST or similar lower pressure loads are great but bring whatever you've been shooting in your known to be safe Fox or whatever. Anyone who's never shot sporting clays will find it a real treat with different presentations at every station, and the more experienced shooters will guide you on what to do. You can leave whenever you want to, no need to spend the entire day. I hope to see my old Fox friends and meet many new ones at Blue Ridge two weeks from yesterday. Here's your chance to dust off those Foxes sitting idle in the safe, yearning to get out and burn some powder.

PS: For those who haven't shot clay targets before, BE SURE to bring safety glasses and earplugs.

Frank Silvers
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

I certainly will be there. Look forward to meeting some of you personally, and don't mind at all making a fool of myself with missed shots. I will take plenty of 7/8 oz 2 3/4" RST's in No.7 1/2 (as well as my 2 1/2", 3/4 oz. loads). I also have Win. AA 1 oz. My main objective is to meet you folks and have fun!

Dalgo
trapshooter

Post by trapshooter »

Frank pretty much summed up what the SxS shoot is all about. No trophies, heck you don't even have to keep score! It's a chance to meet new friends, see old friends, and ogle nice guns.

Beautiful day today and I stopped in at Blue Ridge to make sure everything was on schedule for next Saturday. The parking lot was packed at 11am! Since the club is open to all shooters, not just us SxS guys on Saturdays, it might be a good idea to start out shooting the Wobble Trap and 5 Stand first until early afternoon, then shoot the SC course. I went back at 1:30 and it wasn't nearly as crowded. Just a thought

As you enter the club grounds, you'll see the blue pavilion on your left, that is the 5 stand. As you enter the main parking lot, the road going down to your left, you'll see the Wobble trap pyramid, and the main clubhouse to sign up for and pay for sporting clays will be on your right side of the parking lot. Usually you pay right at the 5 stand and wobble trap for those targets.

The weather for next Saturday is looking OK so far. See you all soon.

Chuck
Chuck Bishop
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

OK the shoot is tomorrow, nice weather predicted, and I'm wondering how many Foxers are planning to go? Dalgo has already replied, thank you. I can trailer down a motorized cart to haul the shells and bags etc for a squad while on the course, and will do that if there's enough of us to justify the extra driving expense. Please reply here so I can have the cart trailered and ready to rock this evening before dark. Or just leave it at home. Thanks.
Last edited by Silvers on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakl

Post by jakl »

I'll be there barring any unforeseen difficulties. I've never gone before and don't know how this works, but I'm coming with a friend who's in the L C Smith club........................Joe
Dalgo

Post by Dalgo »

I don't know how it works, either, but I'll be there. Be glad to share in any extra expenses, Silvers. Just let me know. Jaki, ya go, and ya learn, and mostly, ya have fun! See ya'll there!

Dalgo
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Limited replies and this is a 200+ mile trip for me so there's no sense in towing the trailer and cart. I'll be at Blue Ridge early and will try to rent a cart there if any are available. If not, the 100 bird course is relatively flat and we'll just hoof it around.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Just to close the loop here gents. It was a clear sunny spring day, very nice. I don't have an exact count from Chuck but it looked like about 40-45 shooters fielding Parkers, LC Smiths, Winny 21's, a Remington, a Husky and only 3-1/2 Foxes. There are probably one or two makers I missed. To explain the 3-1/2 Foxes: besides my "PB" pigeon gun, Dalgo's A grade 12 and Dick B's custom straight grip 20 SW Ejector..... Daryl C shot a Parker hammer gun on the first 50 and a Fox second gen BE on the last 50. Targets were excellent but the Easter Bunny must have been there at Blue Ridge, and bunny set about 5 presentations with fast rabbits, some were narrow quartering on edge and none of them cupcakes especially with tight chokes and no spreaders. I also had a chance to meet and talk with Jakl but he was with some LC Smith friends and I assume he shot an Elsie. Stocker Craig Libhart was there and plenty of shooters were in queue to talk with him. Breakfast and lunch at the club were excellent. All told it was great day and I thank Chuck Bishop immensely for setting it up once again.

Besides the 3-1/2 Foxes that made it to the course, I saw one A Grade 12 gauge 2nd gen gun for sale, original 26" barrels, but needed some work. Also handled a 2nd gen AE that was going to Craig for work. A decent A Grade 20 gauge with replacement buttstock, nice job, showed up sorta for sale. :wink: Also looked at two nice Super-Foxes both 32-inchers that were sitting it out on the sidelines. Duck guns yes, rabbit guns no. :roll:

Frank
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.