Early Fox A grade with Extractors

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
M.L.

Early Fox A grade with Extractors

Post by M.L. »

I have noticed that early Fox A grades {1000} serial number range are cheaper than Sterlingworth models. I know that the early A grades have different or less engraving than later models. I have a first year A grade and it is very tight and appears well built. Can any one explain to me why the early graded Foxes are not in greater demand. I am very glad to have a first year production A Grade.

Regards
M.L.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The early style A-Grades have Krupp barrels and are stocked in Juglans regia. There is no way, all things being equal, that they should be cheaper then a Juglans nigra stocked Sterlingworth. The workmanship on the early graded 12-gauge guns made from 1905 to 1912 (Ansley's years with the company) is the best A.H. Fox Gun Co. ever did.
Share the knowledge
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

This is the 2nd or 3rd post I've seen claiming A Grades are selling cheaper then Sterlingworths. I'm not doubting anyone's word, but I certainly haven't found any! If I had, I might own a couple A Grades :D ! I assume we're talking 12ga's here, but even so; why would an A Grade be cheaper?
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
griz

Post by griz »

I don't know if this explains anything or not...But my recent 28th Edition Blue Book of Gun Values has the following statement under Fox, A.H. - Higher Grade Models (A-F)...with which I heartily disagree.

"Early A and B grades have very little engraving and are much less desirable than later models. The following values are for later guns."

Regardless, they have 90% 12 ga. Sterlingworth's listed at $1100 and 90% 12 ga. A Grades listed at $1875.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The "book" is dead wrong!! However, this may work to our advantage with less knowlegable dealers!!
Share the knowledge
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

this may work to our advantage with less knowlegable dealers!!
I can't seem to find those "less knowlegable dealers", where are they?

This internet thing as turned would-be deals into retirement accounts for the inheritors.

1928 CE Fox 16