CSMC Fox

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
My GSP Izzy

CSMC Fox

Post by My GSP Izzy »

While a custom 20ga CSMC Fox has always been a dream gun for me, I realize a high, 5 figure gun may never be in my future. I have found a used 20ga CSMC Fox that is still rather expensive but might be attainable. With one minor exception (a mid bead), it has all of the features I would order on a custom gun. It has modest engraving and checkering patterns. Obtaining it would require selling a handful of guns that I have enjoyed and it would leave me with only a handful of guns to choose from. The guns remaining would still cover all of my bird hunting needs from 12 to 28ga. The configuration of this particular Fox would cover almost all of my grouse and woodcock hunting and it would probably be my go-to gun. My wife and I are getting ready to take the plunge into real estate so this could well be my last big gun purhcase for a few years. Do I go for it? Part of me says yes because you only live once and you might as well enjoy it. The other part still hesitates at such a substantial investment. What would you do?
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Is there a serial number break where all frames were forged after that serial number? Is there any negative aspect to the investment cast frames?
bigkev

Post by bigkev »

I took the plunge about a year ago and received my gun a couple of months ago and could not be happier. They are sweet guns and very well made, probably better the Ansley made them, but then they should be for their cost. I also just bought(or buying) a used 16 Sterlingworth to use when it rains. Contact me if you want to chat. I have visited CSMC numerous times.
APS

Post by APS »

If you want it and you have the funds- get it. They are only going up in price.

I just received a 20 bore XE CSMC gun. I put this in my safe so I have a modern gun to shoot and enjoy and now my "real" XE's (a 12 and a 20) come out to play on special days and I do not have to worry about them.

I t may not be the best choice for a rainy hunt....but you have to love a pretty gun.

al
Alan Smith
BillJanssen

Post by BillJanssen »

eightbore wrote:Is there a serial number break where all frames were forged after that serial number? Is there any negative aspect to the investment cast frames?
Eightbore:

Did CSMC at some point change from cast to forged Fox frames?

Bill
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Sorry, I'm the guy with the question. I have no answers. Someone on this site has the answer, I'm sure.
My GSP Izzy

Post by My GSP Izzy »

Well, I went to see the gun in person again this weekend and it is an amazing gun and very, very tempting. The mid bead is something I would not have requested on my order but I can live with it or maybe even remove it. I could use another 1/2" on the LOP but the rounded skeleton butt (ala Parker Repros) could make that difficult. I'll need to sell a few guns to make this work but if I can move them, I may give the CSMC Fox a go. Decisions, decisions. Hopefully, I can get this picture up.....

Image[/img]
BillJanssen

Post by BillJanssen »

M. G. Izzy:

You want that gun, you ought to buy that gun! The bead thing is nothing, no one can (or should) actually see any bead (or lack of) when they're shooting. Slap a nice leather wrap-on pad on that puppy and shoot it, you only live once, go for the gusto!

Bill
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

GSP, if you go for the CSMC,let us know what's for sale.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

Comparing the CSMC Fox to any other bespoke within the same price range, I can't find its equal. Only spanish makers can compete in the same price of the fox and personally I wouldn't touch a spanish with a 10' stick. Picking up a used CMC Fox for 30% less than the original price seems to be THE deal of the current market. I doubt they'll go any lower and pretty soon (10 to 15 years) they should really be hitting their stride. You could shoot the dog p!ss out of one for the next 20 years and not loose a dime.

1928 CE Fox 16
My GSP Izzy

Post by My GSP Izzy »

Thanks for the replies and encouraging words. Things are in motion and I hope they will work themselves out. If not, I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

With all due respect do you have any objective data (endurance test, etc.) for making the above statement?
Just following prices for the last 15 yeas, but do I really need "objective data"?

Didn't mean to ruffle the feathers of any M21 shooters. This is a "FOX" collectors site is it not?

1928 CE Fox 16
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

Sorry but I'm from Texas and embellishing is a form of humor. :wink:

Let me rephrase if you will.

"You can Hunt the dog sh!t out of that used 20 year old CSMC fox and not lose a dime".

Clay-shoot the dog p!ss out of that M21, it can certainly handle it. The Fox is suited for more elegant work. :lol:

1928 CE Fox 16
bigkev

Post by bigkev »

Good luck, it sure looks sweet! Don't put a slip on pad over that beautiful skeleton butt plate. CSMC may be able to do something for you or learn to shoot it a tad short. I love mine and though I am a big fan of english guns and have a few, I am fast becoming a Fox fanatic and just purchased my second one to use as a back up.