OT----9/11 Where were you???

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
TOOL MAN

OT----9/11 Where were you???

Post by TOOL MAN »

As we mourn & reflect on this very somber day, I like most, can hardly believe it has been a decade since this tragedy unfolded.
So I ask, Fox comrades, WHERE WERE YOU, when you first learned of the news? I'll kick it off:

I along with my wife, was on one of the 5000 planes, in the air on that that fateful morning. I had a trade show to attend in Ft. Lauderdale and my boss at the time, suggested I head down a day early and take my wife along, so we could grab an extra day or two on the beach. I'll never forget looking down at my watch when we went " wheels-up", heading SE out of Bradley. It was 8:32 AM. Anyone who has ever flown Southbound out of Windsor locks, CT, knows that in 10-12 minutes, you pass a little East of Manhattan, then hug the Jersey coastline all the way down. Think about that!!! The first plane hit at 8:46 am. Our pilot must have heard/seen everything!!

I always fly in a window seat but for some reason I ended up on the ailse. It was an azure blue day, not a cloud in sight for miles.
I remember commenting to my wife ( who went to school just outside of NYC) that we should have a beautiful view of the city this morning. She was busy talking with the passenger occupying the window seat and we lost track of time. I tried several times to peer out the window to get a fix on where we were but just couldn't manage to see anything. The plane was eerily calm. It was then we noticed that the flight attendants seemed a bit nervous about something. The kept huddling at the front of the plane and one time were all looking out the window on the right side. No one ever saw a thing, so I believe the air traffic was routed well east/west of the city. My wife, who's a very nervous flyer began to get a little uneasy. I assured her that it was a beautiful day for flying and that nothing was wrong with our plane.

It wasn't until about 20 minutes later when the cockpit door swung open and a ghostlike figure emerged to pick up the handset of the intercom. The pilot was ashen white and sweaty. He looked like he was in the throes of malaria. He grabbed the phone and uttered these chilling words: "Ladies and gentleman, this is my worst day as an aviator...." . At that point my wife squeezed my hand and whispered, "we're dead..". He proceeded to tell us that 2 planes had crashed into the WTC and a 3rd had hit The Pentagon. The world was changed forever and we were at WAR. All planes on the eastern seaboard were being grounded and that the closest airport to us was Raleigh/Durham. Our plane was safe for now but he couldn't guarantee what the world would be like when we landed. He said that several military fighters were in the area, in case other hijacked planes were spotted.

It was all so sureal. I heard the words but nothing registered. I instantly had cotton mouth and couldn't swallow for what seemed like an eternity. Everyone on the plane sat in stunned silence.

The pilot told us that he suspended the cell phone rule and for us to call our loved ones. Just as I was calling my parents, I had
the horrific realization that our rental car was waiting in Florida, not NC. I immediately called my traffic dept. and talked to Beverly, who I worked with for years. She was stunned when I told her where I was and asked if I knew what was happening. She managed to find us a car in Raleigh.

We finally landed and the plane taxied to a stop a mile out on the runway. We de-planed and everyone trudged down the stairs
and headed towards the trerminal, like walking wounded. It looked like a scene from the 101st Airborne, the eve before The Normandy Invasion. Planes were parked and sprawled everywhere.

Long story short, the wife and I took 2 days to return home. I will never forget crossing the GW Bridge at 5;11 PM that Thursday.
Manhattan was still very much smoldering and the air still had an acrid taste to it. An enormous American flag was draped over the main suspension tower of the bridge and it was a sight that still takes my breath away.

We have our original ticket stub and luggage tags framed in the hallway. We will NEVER FORGET.-----TOOL
Last edited by TOOL MAN on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
NJdblgun

Re: OT----9/11 Where were you???

Post by NJdblgun »

Toolman, you were passing Manhattan in the air as the attacks occurred, that must make you stop and think. I remember were I was, in training in Virginia the morning of 9/11/01. By the afternoon of Sept 12, I was in northeast NJ, and then Ground Zero for the next three weeks. Very emotional driving up the NJ Turnpike, looking at the lower Manhattan skyline without the World Trade Towers, and the rising smoke column. As we approached the Delaware Memorial Bridge on the drive north, the signs across the top of the bridge entrance read "NYC Closed".
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

What I wrote yesterday was a little too personal, and it brought up some emotions best left in the past. I decided to delete it. I cannot imagine the anguish and heartbreak of the parents, spouses and loved ones of the innocent people killed there on that day. May God bless each and every one of them. Silvers
Last edited by Silvers on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
al

Post by al »

I received a phone call from my step-son who at the time worked on Wall St. He walked uptown and was able to get home safely.I watched in disbelief on tv. Received a phone call from work (New Rochelle PD) and went to Manhattan with my guys and worked 16-18 hr days for weeks. We were attached to NYPD ESU. It was an honor to work side by side with the elite of NYPD-everyone of them a real gentleman.

Al Maffucci
NRPD-retired
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Bonnie and I were on a trip to England for our 25th anniversary. We'd been out sight seeing, and stopped at a petrol station to gas up on our way back to our friend's home. The people in the mini-mart at the station realized we were Yanks, and said they were "sorry about our troubles." We had no idea what they were talking about, but they quickly filled us in. We made it back to Max & Germaine's home in Kingsthorp before the towers came down.
Share the knowledge
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

I was unemployed at the time, another unpleasant memory. I'd just gotten out of bed; my wife was already up and told me there's been an accident with a plane crashing into a building in New York. We were watching on TV when the second plane hit the towers; we looked at each other and said "Well, it was no accident." A friend had hired me to paint her offices to earn a bit of money; later that day I watched the towers come down on a 9" black and white TV. A sad, humbling, and foreboding day all the way around.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member