Restore?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Shuck M.

Restore?

Post by Shuck M. »

Hello gents.
First post here and I'm very much looking forward to your responses to a question I have.
I've recently became the current guardian of a 12 ga Philadelphia A grade ~ 1927. Or what I though was an A grade.
The Fox book I have has pics that would make it an AE.
It has more engraving of course than the SW, with the Ansley H Fox in the curved ribbon on both sides of the receiver, latch foreend.
Obviously I'm no expert, but I love the gun.
Cosmetically, it's pretty rough. Mechanically, it's barely broken in.
I'm considering barrel work and cleaning up the internals, leave it white, restock it myself with higher comb ala a pigeon type gun.
I surely don't want my first post here to be construed as downright heresy, but I want the experts' opinions.
Should I plunk some $ into it, or just buy a nicer 16ga SW to hunt with - to curb my Fox desires?
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
S.
jmc

Re: Restore?

Post by jmc »

Shuck M.,

I'll offer a few comments and suggestions that may help you garner additional views from the forum.... First thing you should do is describe the gun in greater detail since you are asking about restoration.. Barrel length, stock dimensions, extent of cosmetic flaws, any add-ons or evidence thereof such as swivel studs, recoil pads, sights/beads, wood and metal finishes. Also, from the changes you describe, most here would not consider these actions "restoration" rather, modification of what may be a factory-original gun. If done poorly by inexperienced hands, it is destined to be forever 'butchered' and therefore relinquishing any collector value and possibly unsafe to shoot. You seem to want to bring this A.H. Fox up to a condition that will make it 'shootable' for you. This is great as many of us want to shoot our Fox's as much as possible but I encourage you to take your time with this decision and evaluate what you can learn from replies to this post as well as spending some time reading through other posts with similar content.

I'd also encourage you to provide some clear photos of each part of the gun including the muzzle end of the barrels. Photos should be scaled so that the condition of each screw and pin of the action are clearly visible. This information is telling of the quality of the previous repairs and/or maintenance of the gun.

Regards,
JMC
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

S.

The "E" in AE just stands for ejectors... other than that, an A and an AE should be identical... assuming similar period of build.

post some pics.... what is the current dimensions.... you have options... you can always have the stock bent. OR I have used a stock cover with comb riser pads on an early BE.
Cheers!
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Just to show what can be done with an AE that has a bad stock but is in good shape mechanically. This one was restocked with California english. Checkering is C grade style and the barrel wedges are XE type. Also has a long style forend with ebony tip insert. Barrels and triggerguard were reblued and that's about it. Pics were taken while shooting ZZ birds. This is the gun that won the 1st Ansley H Fox Championship at the Vintagers/Pintail Point in 2008.

There's an article on her in our Spring 2009 newsletter that's archived here in the Members Forum. Title: Will Be Used For Trap Shooting. Silvers

Aan
jmc

Post by jmc »

Hello Silvers,

Beautiful gun... I've got a AE project in the works and really like the look of the pad you have chosen. Is that a Silvers from Galazan?

Thanks,

Jerry
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Yes Jerry, the pad is a "period repro" as supplied by Galazan about 5 years ago. This one has a definite orange shade; their current period repros are more reddish.

Good luck with your project. Silvers
jmc

Post by jmc »

Thank you Silvers...
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Only higher grade or guns in unusual configuration in original high condition have true collector value. As you can see from Silver's fine gun Fox guns lend themselves nicely to upgrades and are sought after as canvas so that owners can express their individual tastes.

As far as getting a 16 gauge Sterlingworth as your hunting gun it is my opinion there is no finer upland gun. Since I primarily hunt over Setters in North Central Kansas where you never know what is going to flush from the point I prefer open chokes and short lively barrels but do have long barrel guns for the occasional pass shooting at dove and prairie chicken.
marshboy

Post by marshboy »

Beautiful looking gun, Silvers.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

A couple of other "restorations". I know there are different viewpoints, but if you find a good Fox that needs work, why not spend some money and get her done up right? Won't get your money back out of it? That hasn't been my experience. And if not, who cares as long as you can hunt and shoot her as much as you want?

I have an article in the works with more details on both these old Foxes. Please, no questions here on who did what. Thank you. Silvers

Early CE 32 incher, serial number 106xx, second gen ejectors, one of my earlier pics so it's sized a little smaller than some others.

Very unusual HE Super Fox, factory ordered with XE wood, Monte Carlo comb, cheekpiece, full pistol grip, Kautzky single trigger/rear position, Silver's pad and swivel studs, Did I forget anything?

Aan
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

......thats some piece of wood on the special order HE......yikes!!!!

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
waterman

Post by waterman »

Frank you sure can pick'em .. That HE off the charts !!!!! Donnie
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

All I can think of is woooooweeee!!! Those are two "killers" Frank. Look forward to the article.

Mike
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

Frank,

What's the serial number on the special order HE?

Could you post the factory card on her?
Last edited by scaupman on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Mr Callahan was kind enough to include both sides of the record card with his factory letter on this gun. I want to retain this info for the article but will post a partial of the card on the Members Forum. Silvers