Superfox 12 ga

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
ajjr

Superfox 12 ga

Post by ajjr »

I just joined the fox group! having recently begun reading the forum.I have,the last 10 years or so owned a number of sxs's but never a Fox.An old friend of my father's took me duck hunting many years ago and shared a book with me,a collection of stories by a guy named Buckingham,and so sparked in me a love for all things old when in pursuit of the winged species.My grandfather was an old -time quail hunter from Mississippi,but unfortunately,my grandmother nagged him into selling his dogs,clothing and guns before i was born,so I never got to stare down the barrels of ol' grandad's double,but I'm hoping the same won't be true for my grandchildren some day.
Ok .I'll get around to my question.I have some experience in determining the market value of Mr Olin's creations at Winchester,but am a total novice on a Fox.With Bo Whoop resurfacing,I was wondering what the ballpark market is on the rest of the Superfox HE 12 ga market ,one in sound hunting condition,in other words,a good shooter?Thanks and I'll sit back and listen
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: Superfox 12 ga

Post by fox-admin »

It all depends on condition but I have purchased a good solid SF with no color but all original except the pad for $3500. A high condition SF with 70% case color is a $6000. gun. Just my opinion. Craig
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

ajjr

I am in Mississippi. Wherebouts in the "Heart of Dixie" did your grandfather live?

Mike
ajjr

Post by ajjr »

My grandfather was from Pocahontas.His last name was "Wilson".His father died when he was young and they moved to Memphis,but he grew up hunting in Mississippi.I've seen pictures of him holding a rabbit-eared sxs as long as he was tall,in britches and knee-hi lace up leather boots.They were poor,as most folks were in those days in Mississippi,and hunted for food-rabbits and squirrels, or whetever you could kill and eat.I assume the bird hunting may have come a little later when he could have his own dogs.He still fished a little when I was young and we were sitting on the pond bank fishing one afternoon and heard some quail nearby and he started whistling at them with a sound I had never heard,and I thought he was nuts.Within a few minutes,the whole covey came scurrying down the bank right to us!I later recognized that as a "covey call",and to this day,when I hear it,I think of him.
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Great story and great memories. I know exactly where Pocahontas is, about 10 miles from my house. I was thru Pocahontas Saturday afternoon. Not much there now, as is the current state of many small towns in MS, and the wild quail.

Mike