What, no upland hunters with Foxes?

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Silvers

What, no upland hunters with Foxes?

Post by Silvers »

So the Parker site has a ton of posts from owners headed out to chase grouse and woodcock in the UP, Minnesota, NY, NH, VT and other states where the seasons are now in or about to open. Talking about their Parkers being used and what they're taking for the trips. Not so here on Fox. There are a few duck posts but that's about it. What's up with our members who covet their smallbore Foxes?

Here in PA the grouse and woodcock seasons don't open until next Saturday and I've been out scouting for food sources over the past month. Last week among others I flushed a really big grouse with a huge fan right off the side of an old RR bed. Open shot if I'd been hunting. I'm ready to rock with my 20 bore "Vixen" and a 16 that's new to me and on the way in. How about you? frank
Last edited by Silvers on Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
DarylC

Re: What, no upland hunters with Foxes?

Post by DarylC »

Stay tuned until next week Frank. There will be a few Foxes in use in SD. Pictures in the que. 8)
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Kimber06

Post by Kimber06 »

Frank, heading to upstate New York for the yearly RGS hunt next weekend with my buddy Steve. Will be using a fine 20ga A grade that I obtained from Kevin. If a bird is unlucky enough to fly into my pattern I will post some pics next week.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I plan on hitting my traditional grouse area in NE PA next Saturday with Reynard, my custom 16 gauge but for now it has been bow hunting and waiting for the chase phase to pick up. The rut should be in full swing the first week of November and I'll spend all my free time trying to poke holes in Odocoileus virginianus. After the rut subsides it will be back to Woodcock in NJ, and grouse in PA.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I went out Monday with my brother and both of us carried 16 ga. Fox. I think we flushed 6 at first spot and two or three at the next spot. Unfortunately, we didn’t connect with any of them.
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Will be tuning up (maybe this weekend) with my 16 ga. SKUGG 26-incher for NY grouse and our Oct. 26 opening in MD for woodcock. It sounds like they are on the move in the NE a little earlier than usual, I think in response to all the disturbances from the hurricanes and two recent nor'easters. Kevin
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Nothin' upland happens out west here until November; I'll be in SD with a couple of Foxes.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Roger, that’s a pretty cool Robinhood.
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Steggy, I wish it was mine. I think it’s pretty cool too.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

I love to hunt the uplands, especially Pheasants in the Dakotas but two bad knees has caused me to cancel a trip this year. One is fixed and back to 95%, the other is scheduled for Jan. 25. My go to gun for the uplands is my only 20ga gun, a CSMC XE two barrel set 28" M/IM and a 26" set S/IC. I bought it when the CSMC Foxes were first available figuring I would never find a 20ga XE original. The gun has accompanied me all over the US and Canada. My only wish is ducks and upland seasons didn't overlap, makes for a busy Fall LOL.
My son is an avid Grouse and Woodcock hunter, mostly on the Tug Hill Plateau of NY. He hunts coverts that have held good number of birds but his first trip Friday was a bust, one woodcock flush. He did flush 50 mallards off a beaver pond, the season for ducks opens the next day.
Just an aside about predators, we have a bunch of trail cameras out on our duck club food plots for deer. We have pictures of Bobcats, Fishers and Coyotes. Ground nesting birds have a difficult life.
zacharysmith

Post by zacharysmith »

I'm on it! Had my 16 and 20 out this week doing some damage in Maine and NH. Heading to the Canada border next week for two weeks to trudge the uplands. See what else we can do. Be honest though, a Parker is going with us as well. I was hoping and looking forward to having my 16 AE finished up from a well know gunsmith but he is dragging his feet on the project so maybe next year. Bummed about the whole situation.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Nice to hear from you Zachary. Last year you sent us some nice pictures for the newsletter. It would be nice to see some again this year. Happy hunting.
44whiskey

Post by 44whiskey »

Jeff S wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:55 am Nice to hear from you Zachary. Last year you sent us some nice pictures for the newsletter. It would be nice to see some again this year. Happy hunting.
yes Zachary,always enjoy your hunting report and pics.pics are calendar worthy. :wink:
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Fin2Feather wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 10:58 am Nothin' upland happens out west here until November; I'll be in SD with a couple of Foxes.
When are you heading to SD Phil? A few of us Fox guys will be there for the start of the season on the 19th through the 23rd in the Hitchcock area.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

DarylC wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:04 pmWhen are you heading to SD Phil? A few of us Fox guys will be there for the start of the season on the 19th through the 23rd in the Hitchcock area.
Daryl, we'll be there the week of November 4 in the Brookings area, or so I'm told. Just east of you it looks like, but later. A new area for us; we're usually around Pierre/Faulkton. My nephew ramrods the trips so I don't always know all the details; I just go where they point me :D !
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member