Case color needed

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jabba3153

Case color needed

Post by Jabba3153 »

I have a sterlingworth 16 that someone buffed tocase off it is like a coin finish or in the white it’s a1934 so it was cyanide cased originally does anyone know about steelfxpatina color
Stan Hillis

Re: Case color needed

Post by Stan Hillis »

I bought four bottles of it to try but haven't done so yet. It will be this winter before I get deep into it. One thing good about it ......... if you don't like how it turns out you can polish it right back off. I'm anxious to try it on some polished scrap.
Jabba3153

Post by Jabba3153 »

Thanks what color did you decide on and let us know how it comes out how faw do you need to dismantle the gun I would think just the stock and leaver or may be able to with just the stock off
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I will look this morning and see exactly which ones I bought, but I think is was two different blue hues, a copper, and a burnt copper. But, I'll let you know for certain soon.

I'm going to try it on some polished scrap first, then a Stevens double. I have it completely disassembled because I had thoroughly cleaned it in an ultrasonic tank. I have read about it that the higher the level of polish the brighter the colors will be. I may, or may not, want very bright colors so I'm going to experiment on different levels of polish as well before trying it on a Fox. I also need to determine the best way to preserve those colors if indeed they're worthy of it. I hear that the SteelFX colors have little to no durability on their own.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Okay, I was remembering rightly. I got the Blue Halo Gel, the Blue-Black F/X, the Copper F/X Gel, and the Burnt Copper F/X. The ones I bought are all gel type. When the weather cools off I'll start messing with it some. My shop isn't air conditioned and it's been brutal around he'ah this summer.
Jabba3153

Post by Jabba3153 »

Thanks I think I will try this first before sending for case hardening