Photo's of early Philadelphia Arms gun?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
vaturkey

Photo's of early Philadelphia Arms gun?

Post by vaturkey »

Anyone have any pictures of those guns with the recessed pin? I know there is one in MM's book (grade C I believe), but I'm guessing there is a few others around. Wondering what the higher grades looked like, engraving etc.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

You gotta start looking around our web site --

http://www.foxcollectors.com/philadelphia%20arms.htm

I did an article on one of the known E-Grades in The Double Gun Journal, Volume Thirteen, Issue 4; and J. Douglas Tinsley did an article on the other in Volume Two, Issue 1.
Share the knowledge
vaturkey

Sorry, missed that. Must dig a bit deeper then I had.

Post by vaturkey »

My bad as my young kids say. Thanks for pointing that out.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

It would be nice if our website had pictures of all grades of Philadelphia Arms guns. It would be the only such set available for "looking".
dragon

Post by dragon »

i have one serial#152 it is an A grade i have had it completely restored with a leather recoil pad.i will take a couple pics this week and send them in not sure if i can get a good enough pics to see the engraving!
dragon

Post by dragon »

here are a couple pics,but u cannot see the engraving enjoy
Image[/img]
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Nice restoration job. Does the tip of the forearm have a Parker Bros. style metal inlay? I know that later A-Grades don't have it, but the higher grades do and I was wondering if an A-Grade as early as yours might have it. Would make the gun look even more like a VH-Grade Parker Bros. Could you tell us your barrel length?

This A-Grade #324 doesn't have the inlay, nor does the A-Grade forearm I have #1530.

As long as I'm asking questions, has anyone come up with a Philadelphia Arms Co. gun with Damascus barrels. The 1905 Philadelphia Arms Co. catalogue offers Damascus as an option, but I've yet to record anything but Krupp for PAC barrels.
Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

As Dave says, that's a very nice restoration. Who did it?
dragon

Post by dragon »

no the forearm on this A-grade is plain no metal tip.
new england custom gun did the restoration,it was the typical 100 plus year old gun the wood was black soaked with oil and a couple of wood chunks around the upper tag and receiver chipped out.the checkering was worn smooth.not bad for a $100.yard sale gun! they didn't have alot to work with but they saved everything.
it has 26"tubes
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Thanks for the additional info. Do the barrels have any choke or do you think they were cut? The only PAC catalogue I have a copy of (1905) only offers 28-, 30-, and 32-inch barrels.
Share the knowledge
dragon

Post by dragon »

yes the barrells still have choke in them,we suspected that the barrells were cut.i think the info u gave me about the barrell lenghts from the old catolog is the missing link to the puzzel on these barrells.
must have been cut!
thanku
deweyvicknair

P.A.C. B grade

Post by deweyvicknair »

Here are some photos of number 1087, mentioned in McIntosh's book.

Researcher

Post by Researcher »

That is the only one I've recorded with a four digit serial number above an A-Grade. The other 13 I've recorded from 1005 to 1845 are all A-Grades. Still waiting for someone to post pictures of a PAC gun with a serial number higher then 1845.
Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Very nice little B Grade. Outstanding wood to metal fit. My B Grade is #873, has no color, but everything else is quite nice. Who did the color on #1087? Maybe Dewey?
dragon

Post by dragon »

what is the earliest serial # recorded in any grade for the phillidephia arms fox?