Early Fox Advertising

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Researcher

Early Fox Advertising

Post by Researcher »

While doing some of my Harold B. Money research online today I found A.H. Fox Gun Co. advertising over two months earlier than I had previously seen. Previously the earliest ads I'd found were in the December 16, 1905, American Field. My new discovery is in Sporting Life, beginning in the October 7, 1905, issue.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLib ... 604028.pdf
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Hey Dave, thats really neat!!! Aint it great when we uncover something previously unknown!! It's always the thrill of the hunt. Thanks for sharing. Tom
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Hi Dave,

I'm curious about the Fox ad in that October 7th, 1905 edition of the Sporting Life.

It has the famous Teddy Roosevelt quote "The Finest Gun in the World" when he referred to Fox Guns.

Is that just a little early? His gun, around 139xx I'm thinking was just a little later than 1905.

Or is that just about right?

Jolly
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Researcher

Post by Researcher »

"The Finest Gun in the World" was the A.H. Fox Gun Co. slogan from the get go. Teddy's quote was "I had a Fox No. 12 shotgun; no better gun was ever made" from the October 1909 Scribner's Magazine.
Share the knowledge
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Dave,

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm glad you know all those subtle details.

Bill Jolliff
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

Just thought I'd bring this to the top with some ads I haven't seen anywhere else...

From the Outing Magazine, 1907...

From National Sportsman, 1919...
ImageImageImage

And from Country Life in America, 1909, the highest quality magazine print of a Fox I've seen...
Beware the man with one gun...he likely will bore you to death in others ways, too.
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Does anyone have a copy of the twenty reasons a Fox is the finest gun in the world?

Mike
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Yes.
Share the knowledge
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Mike,

Very nice set of Ads.

Pete