A Tale of History

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Maggiemollie

A Tale of History

Post by Maggiemollie »

This 2004 article from a local paper hangs at Narragansett Gun Club. It is an article about J. Albert Beaudette, one of the founding members of the club (founded in 1924). I am almost positive that the gun noted in the article was a graded Fox. The timeline of the noted competition is the mid 1920's.

As Mr. Beaudette got older he sold many of his guns to 2 younger gents at the club (this was now in the 1950's - Mr. Beaudette passed at age 92 in 1962). I know one of the guns he sold was an LC Smith Skeet gun, as the LC was the primary skeet gun used by this gentlemen (Ken) until he bought a Remington 3200 Skeet in 1973. Although I didn't know Ken until the early 80's, he always raved about his LC and his Fox. I ultimately ended up buying his 3200 and at the time I remember him offering me the LC Skeet and also "a fancy trap gun" that probably was the gun noted in the article and a Fox.

So here we have a story about a graded smashed stock Fox that was sold twice and I know the stock most likely ended up being severely cut down because Ken shot everything drop stock, as the 3200 I bought had a LOP 12.25".

Just a bit of history.
Attachments
IMG_1591.PNG
44whiskey

Re: A Tale of History

Post by 44whiskey »

interesting story. thanks for posting. all the best 44whiskey
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Nice article. I thought I would check out the gun club, but there's not much on their "web page". Is this the club where the guys like "expensive" firearms? Jeff
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Cool story. If the pricing reference is accurate, my guess is the Fox in question was the entry level J-grade SBT, which ranged from $155--125 during the 20's. JMHO, but unless your Pete Townshend or Jimi Hendrix, smashing a gun after a "performance" should have earned J. Albert a quick trip to the front exit!
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Maggiemollie

Post by Maggiemollie »

Jeff S wrote:Nice article. I thought I would check out the gun club, but there's not much on their "web page". Is this the club where the guys like "expensive" firearms? Jeff
It's a variety of folks. Overall the club is very low key and blue collar recreational (very few competition shooters) but there are several members with lots of money that like their guns and buy them to collect and by collect I mean just to have.

There are 4 decent skeet/trap fields, a very rudimentary sporting clay course that is hardly used, a crappy 100yd rifle range, and a small outdoor pistol range. Skeet shooting dominates the club activities.