Would you buy this gun???

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
FRBRIT

Re: Would you buy this gun???

Post by FRBRIT »

Just my 2 cents worth,
This gun screams stolen property to me. I'm not saying the seller is the culprit, but it's obvious the serial numbers and manufacture markings have been removed intentionally. If I were to try to do a FFL transfer to the gun shop I use for such things. I'm quite sure they would have to report it to the authorities. I'm friends with the owner of the shop I use and even with that said he would still be required to report it. There is no way I could pass a background check on this one. I would never put myself or him in a situation that could arise from me trying to get a deal on a gun like this.

Think about this one:
Somehow you get the gun, you take it out bird hunting, you get stopped by the game warden, he inspects your gun and see's the serial numbers have been blotched out. In Colorado he is a law officer. Now he arrests you, confiscates not only the gun, but all the possessions you have on you including your vechicle & dogs. Now you have to lawyer-up and pay big time to clear your name. All over a gun deal you could have avoided by not buying the gun in the first place!

It's a real shame it happened to a gun like this. But what's more of a shame is there is probably someone out there that is still wondering what happened to his beloved Fox 20ga.

I'm surprized GB doesn't report this one or at least pull it off their site.
Life Member A.H. Fox Collectors Association Inc.
Scott

Post by Scott »

The pictures on GB do not show the altered serial numbers, just the sides with AH FOX scratched out.
The only thing that will save this gun fron destruction by the BATF would be if the owner can prove it was a stolen/recovered gun. The serial number problems have to be reported at transfer, and the "Men in black" will be at your door put this in the chopper!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
al

Post by al »

As far as the age of the gun it does not matter it originally came with a seriel # and that's all that matters.It's altered and it's a felony.Do not trust this person selling the gun and keep looking you will find a better gun without the headaches.
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

Why did a thief gouge out the maker's name on the side of the action? Did he think that AH Fox was the owner's name? Watch for him on TV, "America's Dumbest Criminals".

Best,

Mike
Never trust a dog to guard your food.
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Well here is the answewer about transfer of firearms from the Gun Control Act of 1968:

Sec. 922. Unlawful acts

(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
setterspell

Post by setterspell »

I especially like the use of the term "Great engraving" in the description. I wonder if the monogram on the L-O-M case is ruined as well?
I wouldn't buy it but I would like to check the back of the ejector faces for s/n. Shouldn't they be numbered? Just curious
nightowltill2

Post by nightowltill2 »

Has anyone here asked questions of this seller? If so, were you successful and what were the answers?
Tom
Tom
kl1450

Post by kl1450 »

Selling for Grandpa who has owned for 40 years. Previous owner had gun stolen and hatchet job to sn's as recovered.
Trigger guard # 203000 appears machine stamped and incorrect imo.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I did and that is how I got the pictures. When I asked about the serial numbers this is the e-mail response I received;

"We don't have any documentation.
It was stolen and recovered by the man my grandpa got it from. Grandpa has had it for over 40 years so there's no paperwork that I know of.
As far as WA authorities have said it should be OK. I'm waiting on a call back from the BATF but haven't gotten it yet."
I do not think my dealer will accept the gun for transfer, so I am not a bidder.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
james-l

Post by james-l »

There are other places that the original serial should show up.The trigger plate usually has it on the side of the trigger boss and on the front of the stock, I have a savage.
made one that is on the buttstock under the buttplate. IMO it is just a headache waiting to happen.

Jim A.
abner

Post by abner »

Well, the gun sold for over $3,700.00 and I think the next time we see the gun for sale, it will have new serial numbers, engraving, and a new price tag over $6,000.00. It was a great gun and the previous owner should have invested to have it repaired and he would have sold the gun for a much higher price.
Ralph