Anyone watch this DGJ video??

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Post Reply
User avatar
fox-admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4147
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:46 pm
Has thanked: 757 times
Been thanked: 2111 times

Anyone watch this DGJ video??

Post by fox-admin »

I am not a subscriber. I wrote the original article.
Attachments
829544409_122157144411045919_5095983837069837517_n.jpg
User avatar
Silvers
Posts: 5172
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Between Phila and Utica
Has thanked: 1201 times
Been thanked: 1845 times

Re: Anyone watch this DGJ video??

Post by Silvers »

Craig, I'm not a subscriber and the video link doesn't work here. But as a former DGJ author myself this brings up the question of whether the copyright assignment(s) and author's stipend carries over to later presentation in another format? frank
Aan
MARSHFELLOW
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:07 pm
Location: Adirondack Mountain foothills
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 190 times

Re: Anyone watch this DGJ video??

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Craig, I am a subscriber but have not watched it. Frankly, I dont care for watching videos generally so I havent watched any of theirs yet. I didnt realize that was the new format when I signed up. I'll watch this one though. Thanks, t
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
eightbore
Posts: 3296
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 433 times

Re: Anyone watch this DGJ video??

Post by eightbore »

Tom, if you didn't sign up for the videos, what did you sign up for? Just askin'.
User avatar
Fin2Feather
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Kansas High Plains
Has thanked: 315 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Anyone watch this DGJ video??

Post by Fin2Feather »

Many editors etc. seem to believe that once they've published or paid for a particular piece they own it. IMHO that's not necessarily the case. I provide an invoice which specifically states that they are paying for a one-time use of the material and that copyright is retained by the author. Paying from that invoice denotes acceptance of the terms. That said, if a dispute arises, for the small amount of money we're typically talking about it's not feasible to take any action if they abuse the terms. Of course most don't read the invoice; they just pay it.

I had a piece purchased and published by a particular publication which later showed up in another. When I contacted the first about an additional royalty the editor told me that there was a long-standing reciprocal agreement between the two publications, and in fact he was quite incensed that I even brought it up. He told me that having bought the story for his publication that he "owned" it and could do whatever he wanted with it. When I showed him the invoice he'd paid from with the stipulations mentioned he quit taking my calls and refused to talk with me again. I talked with a couple of writer buddies who agreed with me, but we all agreed that it would be too much trouble and too expensive to do anything about it.

I guess this situation might be different, since in a way it's the same publication. I have not subscribed to the new DGJ doings nor have I even looked at it; just not my thing, If it's just going to be a rehash of old articles that's too bad.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
User avatar
Silvers
Posts: 5172
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Between Phila and Utica
Has thanked: 1201 times
Been thanked: 1845 times

Re: Anyone watch this DGJ video??

Post by Silvers »

All of my manuscripts were prominently indicated "Copyright (Date) and my name" and in absence of a written Agreement otherwise, that granted the publisher the right to use that material for an upcoming issue. As regards reuse, there is reasonable basis for the author to expect additional compensation, as publication in a magazine does not by itself transfer ownership of the copyright, which generally must be in writing and signed.

I think any former authors with concerns with reuse of previously published content in a different format might do well to discuss with an Intellectual Property lawyer for his/her perspective. frank
Aan
User avatar
fox-admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4147
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:46 pm
Has thanked: 757 times
Been thanked: 2111 times

Re: Anyone watch this DGJ video??

Post by fox-admin »

Silvers wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 1:05 pm All of my manuscripts were prominently indicated "Copyright (Date) and my name" and in absence of a written Agreement otherwise, that granted the publisher the right to use that material for an upcoming issue. As regards reuse, there is reasonable basis for the author to expect additional compensation, as publication in a magazine does not by itself transfer ownership of the copyright, which generally must be in writing and signed.

I think any former authors with concerns with reuse of previously published content in a different format might do well to discuss with an Intellectual Property lawyer for his/her perspective. frank
Phil and Frank thanks for your great input. Personally, I'm not looking for additional compensation, I'm just curious how the article was presented in the digital format. It would be nice if they gave some recognition to the authors with a short author's bio and a link to the AHFCA website. One of my objectives writing for the DGJ was getting my name out there and potentially getting an opportunity to buy a nice Fox. So far that has never happened LOL.
James Orr
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:25 pm
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Anyone watch this DGJ video??

Post by James Orr »

I subscribed to it but never saw anything about your video. The ones I have watched are ok. Haven't decided if I will renew it.
James Orr
Post Reply