Hunting Season(s) Approaching - What gun(s) will go with you for opening day?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
ROMAC

Re: Hunting Season(s) Approaching - What gun(s) will go with you for opening day?

Post by ROMAC »

Reynard is stepping into his rightful place as the "go to" gun for all appropriate game.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Stan Hillis

Re: Hunting Season(s) Approaching - What gun(s) will go with you for opening day?

Post by Stan Hillis »

Don't let that stop you. Here ya' go, Foxnut.

https://bossshotshells.com/shotshells/s ... ge=20%20GA
ylwdog

Post by ylwdog »

In the past my go to gun was my CE 20 Ga. But after losing all sight in my right eye and still trying to learn to shoot left handed I may use my 12 SW or my Parker DHE 12.
Although I will probably regret it I may have to part ways with the 20 CE. :(
Jerry
loggy

Post by loggy »

Jerry, I am sorry to hear about your eye sight. Our health is the most valuable thing we have. The CE 20 could be a close second. Glad you will still be getting out to hunt. John
Jabba3153

Post by Jabba3153 »

Dove here in Louisiana sept 1 my 28 gauge fair iside tartuga gold 30” then Montana will bring my fox sterlingworth 16 Lefever ds 20/16 or maybe aya xxv 20
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Because of my not so recent debilitated condition, I will be content to wander into the dove field with my sporting clays cart and my Nash Buckingham lettered HE, loaded with common 3-1 1/8-7 1/2 trap loads. When I connect with my first long range bird, I will shout, "Great shot" and wait for some young gun to retrieve the bird for his bag. I will then unload my Super Fox and head for the truck.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Foxnut wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:42 am A 30” .410 sounds fun!
They are! I've got three, right now. From left to right ....... 30" FAIR Verona, 30" Dickinson and 30" FAIR Iside Tartaruga Gold. I'm probably going to be selling the Iside soon, not that there's anything wrong with it, I just shoot the Dickinson better. Funny how, in this photo, the barrels look different lengths, but they're all 30".

Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

eightbore wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:40 pm Because of my not so recent debilitated condition, I will be content to wander into the dove field with my sporting clays cart and my Nash Buckingham lettered HE, loaded with common 3-1 1/8-7 1/2 trap loads. When I connect with my first long range bird, I will shout, "Great shot" and wait for some young gun to retrieve the bird for his bag. I will then unload my Super Fox and head for the truck.
A trick that I have used often when a neighboring stander shoots at a bird I killed. It allows an inexperienced shooter to take home more birds and allows me to keep shooting. :D Win win.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The advantage of "claiming" one of your birds for another shooter is that you can help him locate the dead bird from your stand rather than walking out into the field. Yup, and it allows you an extra bird or two.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

ylwdog wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:23 pm In the past my go to gun was my CE 20 Ga. But after losing all sight in my right eye and still trying to learn to shoot left handed I may use my 12 SW or my Parker DHE 12.
Although I will probably regret it I may have to part ways with the 20 CE. :(
Jerry
Jerry,
Glad to see you posting and continuing to recover. Yes, learning to shoot left handed will be a challenge but one I’m sure you can handle. Main thing is you are out there and giving it a go!! Hang tough! Brett
Regards - Foxnut
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

For all of those fortunate to open up on Doves yesterday or today post some pics so the rest of us can live vicariously through ya’ll! One of the things I miss about leaving the South was the fun and celebration of dove hunts!
Regards - Foxnut
Mills

Post by Mills »

Opening day near Savannah was a barn burner. I got 12 which included a double. I shot a Parker VH 16 gauge 0 frame which I love.

Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Took the Amish Gun (32" 20 ga. A Grade SG SFE) out for the dove opener but wound up never firing a shot. The only dove that came near me was way too close to shoot (c. 10 ft.). Not many birds moving; high gun for a party of c. 20 hunters was 5 birds. It was just great to be out again on a nice cool pre-Fall day with bright sunshine, scudding clouds and a crisp NW breeze. Better luck next time! Kevin
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Today was the traditional Michigan Grouse opener. Unfortunately in the Lower Peninsula on the West side of the state it was warm for September standards. It was 80 degrees where I’m at by 10:00 a.m. Rosey and I opted to do an early morning hike/run and then spend some time fishing from the dock. Here’s my grouse opener pics!🤣🤣 Apologies in advance as I forgot to orient my iPhone correctly. Brett
IMG_8175.jpeg
IMG_0201.jpeg
Regards - Foxnut