Screw and Plate ?

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Copious

Screw and Plate ?

Post by Copious »

Long Story I my father passed, and I got his FOX that I learned on when I was 12. I'm still not the best shot but excited to get it cleaned up. At some point he broke a forearm? screw off as seen in the pic?

I need to know first does anyone sell a replacement screw? and Second any advice on removing the screw besides drilling and re-tapping it?

I also have the logo etching on the bottom, I am unsure which model this is, it's a double barrel, double trigger 12G. We did use it a week ago but the dirt jamb'd the shells when it heated up.

Thanks
Attachments
Logo
Logo
Broken Part
Broken Part
Broken Screw
Broken Screw
Fin2Feather

Re: Screw and Plate ?

Post by Fin2Feather »

Your gun is a Fox Model B made by Savage arms, not an A.H. Fox gun. Your pictures are pretty dark; I can't really tell which screw you're talking about or where it goes. I don't currently have a Model B but it is similar to Stevens guns which I do have; I looked at one of mine but am having trouble figuring out exactly what is going on from your pictures. Is it a screw that attaches the forend iron to the wood, or...? Does it go through the wood from the outside and into the iron?

Later: Here is a link to an exploded view of your gun; I think I see what you're talking about now. This site may have the part you're looking for. As far as getting the broken screw out I can't help you there. From the photo you provided it looks like the hole in the iron is open all the way through? It also looks like there are quite a few threads left; maybe there is enough that the broken screw will hold?
www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/s ... av/b-ser-h
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Copious

Post by Copious »

Yep that's it Screw #57 in the diagram. and yes the screw is 1/2 there it is hollow so it looks empty really strange I dreamt that I took it out with vise-grips.

Thanks again I'll order the screw and see if that helps.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

If it's hollow maybe you can wedge something in the opening like a small screwdriver or Allen wrench and turn it out? Maybe hit it with WD40 or some other release agent first.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member