Perazzi case crumbled interiors

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
MARSHFELLOW

Perazzi case crumbled interiors

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

If you have a Perazzi (plastic hard case) with a crumbled deteriorated interior that you want to have restored to like new contact this man-
Jim Lyon hm 860 684 7818 cell 860 933 3687 Great work, reasonable, fast turnaround. Much better than paying big money++ for a new one. He just did my 3 personal cases & I can finally use them again.
tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
DarylC

Re: Perazzi case crumbled interiors

Post by DarylC »

Thanks for the info Tom. My three cases are still in good shape but it's good to know who can repair them.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Sporrns

Re: Perazzi case crumbled interiors

Post by Sporrns »

The problem with these and other more modern cases (e.g., molded plastic or fibreglas types) invariably used the more modern synthetic glues to adhere the linings to the interior of the case as opposed to the very early hide glues (as seen in the British oak & leather and leather over wood cases) or the later water-based white glues such as Borden's & etc.

While the hide glues are a mess to dilute and remove and stink like high heavens during the process, the water-based glues are much easier and less noxious to remove by comparison. The modern synthetics are a real nightmare to strip and completely remove; most require some type of C9 aromatic solvent or high Reid vapor pressure (RVP) derivative thereof for complete removal and cleanup. Concomitant with this is, of course, the risk of fire or explosion as well as ambient toxicity in improperly ventilated work spaces.

Very early in my case restoration career, I was asked to reline and refit a trunk case by (believe it or not) Louis Vuitton! What should have been a week to 10-day job turned into a veritable hazmat removal nightmare (think spray-adhered cotton candy backing to ultra suede lining). I finally got it done without any mishaps and vowed I'd never do another one. Kevin