My Southern purchase

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox
fox-admin
Site Admin

My Southern purchase

Post by fox-admin »

I purchased 22487 a XE 12ga 30" at the Southern from Josh. Josh cut me a good deal but the gun had a few issues that were a bit of a gamble for me. The gun's action had been coated with and oil based finish (Tru-oil?)that was thick and quite dark. The gun also had a very small crack in the head of the stock. When I got the gun home I removed the stock and soaked the action for 48 hours in acetone and that took care of the added finish. Brian Dudley repaired the small crack in the head of the stock. The first picture shows 22487 on the right compared to 22416 the Pan-Am Expo gun that Toolman did an article about in the DGJ. The second picture shows 22487 on the bottom and 22416 on the top. One interesting fact for the collector type, my 21773 XE has a forend wood that is the standard 8", 22416 is 9" and 22487 is 10" long.
Attachments
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0043.JPG
22487.jpg
44whiskey

Re: My Southern purchase

Post by 44whiskey »

very nice Craig,Xs are my fav grade.proud for you :wink:
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Very beautiful gun Craig. I’m glad that it cleaned up the way you wanted. It will look great next to a dead green head.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Atta boy Craig. You did good.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Craig, beautiful gun!! Curious with the extra oil covering the frame was the wood also covered with additional finish or just the metal. Cleaned up very nicely. Thanx for sharing pics and providing the info on the forend lengths. Brett
Regards - Foxnut
loggy

Post by loggy »

Craig, thank you for the post. Always nice to see what you are doing and how you find your guns. Josh has an ability to help people find things they really didn’t know they needed! John
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Foxnut wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:35 pm Craig, beautiful gun!! Curious with the extra oil covering the frame was the wood also covered with additional finish or just the metal. Cleaned up very nicely. Thanx for sharing pics and providing the info on the forend lengths. Brett
No just the frame. I started off cleaning the frame with acetone and a Q tip but soon realized it would take weeks so I removed the stock and soaked the action in a bath of acetone. It took a while but I couldn't be happier. At first I thought it was lacquer but it turned out to be oil based. I showed the gun to Bill Jolliff, my mentor and hero with respect to Fox guns and he blessed it. I have been so lucky to have develop a friendship with Bill J and Tom Wyraz, they both are students of Fox guns and know Fox guns like few others. New collectors would be well served to develop a relationship with knowledgeable collectors, it will short cut many of the mistakes many of us make.
Bob Jurewicz

Post by Bob Jurewicz »

Here is what I added while at the Southern.
It is a CSMC Savage Fox Grade CE 20 GA Prototype. It is created from the RBL Design.
S FOX 1.jpg
Bob Jurewicz
abner

Post by abner »

Very nice Bob, I love the engraving, it looks mint! Did you buy from CSMC?
Ralph
Bob Jurewicz

Post by Bob Jurewicz »

Yes. It is new.
Clarification Needed!!
This gun is not the "CSMC A H FOX" built from original specs and patents.
It is a CSMC manufacture gun using FOX look alike built of the RBL design. They originally built what they called their A Grade. They then created some prototype guns for Savage in CE Grade. So far I have seen five(5) and am aware of another currently being built with 30" barrels. I believe mine is the first of the bunch.
By the way; these are about $15,000 to $19,000 less than the CSMC Fox.
Bob Jurewicz
Attachments
S FOX 4.jpg
S FOX 3.jpg
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

That looks really good, Bob. I hope it works out well for you. Please post updates after you've shot it a significant amount.

SRH
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Are there any details about this gun on the CSMC website, such as what gauges it will be offered in, or is it still too new?
Bob Jurewicz

Post by Bob Jurewicz »

I don't beliece the cataloged this gun.
There may be no more.
Bob Jurewicz
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Bob Jurewicz wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:37 am I don't beliece the cataloged this gun.
There may be no more.
Bob Jurewicz
Agree. I think there were a few of these done and there will be no more. Ditto with the A grade version of the same gun. I know a fellow who bought one from CSMC directly and it arrived in a broken case. He tried to get a replacement case and was told they had no new cases and that the gun had been discontinued.