Fox Gun Club Jacket Patch....

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
MarketHunter

Fox Gun Club Jacket Patch....

Post by MarketHunter »

I just wanted to give an update for all the interested folks. The jacket patch is in the works. The first prototype is done, just doing some tweaking on the design of the fox itself and adding more green into the ground. Did some sketch work on the pattern last night and sent it along to the ladies. That should improve the fox quite a bit I hope. Thanks again to Craig for sending me the high rez catalog image.
Attachments
20210510_203218.jpg
20210507_120911.jpg
44whiskey

Re: Fox Gun Club Jacket Patch....

Post by 44whiskey »

fine looking patch, like fox in drawing better. thank you markethunter. all the best 44whiskey
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Destry, just a couple of inputs: The Fox factory club in Phila circa 1909 or so was the “Fox Gun Club”. Not A H Fox Gun Club. Its home ground was at Holmesburg Junction. Also while “Penna” was an accepted period state abbreviation, you might consider using “PA” as Fox barrel legends were marked.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Tue May 11, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
MarketHunter

Post by MarketHunter »

I'm not trying to recreate anything from a previously existing club, the idea is to have something that is more for the collectors club but is made in the vintage style. AH Fox with the Philly location is more fitting to that idea.

Also changes to the art are billed by the hour, the artwork is actually the most expensive part of the process. I'll be about $300 to $400 out of pocket before I sell the first patch. The fewer changes I make, the less cash it's going to cost me before I can officially roll it out. So yeah....
Last edited by MarketHunter on Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

MarketHunter wrote:I'm not trying to recreate anything, the idea is to have something that is more for the collectors club. AH Fox with the Philly location is more fitting to that idea.

Also changes to the art are billed by the hour, the artwork is actually the most expensive part of the process. I'll be about $300 to $400 out of pocket before I sell the first patch. The fewer changes I make, the less cash it's going to cost me before I can officially roll it out. So yeah....
If the concept is truly to achieve something that is "more for the collector's club" (e.g., the AHFCA, Inc.), then why not strive to at least duplicate if not exceed the excellent artwork effected in the AHFCA decal, whose vivid colors and distinct contrast of animated to static images (fox to fencepost, so to speak) have already been achieved in one of our most popular sales items? Surely a digital file can be modified to transfer these values to a computer controlled imagery chip, cartridge, whatever. Why struggle through a "tie-dyed" image trying to represent what is universally recognized as our signature catalog image? So far as artwork deviation being billed by the hour, the age of pixels surely has facilitated the multiple overlay function of creative young computer jocks (and jockettes) to the extent that coverage, aspect, tone, hue and color variations are literally had and changed at the "right click" button. These options should be quoted in operator minutes, not hours.

And more to Frank's point, why not use the 'Phila. PA." nomenclature or a variation thereof that more closely approximates original A.H. Fox barrel logo script? The current address transcription almost begs the addition of a zip code, not readily apparent at the 18th & Windrim St. address. Thanks for listening, Kevin.
MarketHunter

Post by MarketHunter »

I've successfully designed and sold something like 200 jacket patches for two other clubs so my track record is pretty good.

As far as the mention of computers and all that, they have no part in this process. These are literally your Grandpa's or even Great Grandpa's jacket patch. They're made using ancient technology on 75 year old machines by a lady that's nearly as old as the machines themselves. The work is completely hand oriented, each color put on one at a time following the hand stenciled design. It's literally folk art, and almost a lost art really. It took me two years of searching to find somebody who was able to produce something even approaching the quality of the old time examples.

The reason the art is billed by the hour is because every time I make a change a completely new stencil has to be created.

My idea with creating these wasn't to have some flat ugly computer oriented embroidery done by slave labor in China. It was to recreate something out of the past and have it made here in the USA the same as the guns it was made in tribute to.
zacharysmith

Post by zacharysmith »

Destry,
As I said before, thanks for doing what you are doing and appreciate the effort as what you are doing is a labor of love. I am in for 1 of each once again.
Zack
MarketHunter

Post by MarketHunter »

I should have the final prototype in hand in a week or so. They're going to be the best one I've done yet, really gonna be sharp.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Thanks again for the efforts you're putting into this project. Looking forward to seeing the prototype.