B 20 Bird

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
R.R.

B 20 Bird

Post by R.R. »

Finally hit a small 40 acre field that I am fortunate to have permission to hunt on. Weather was in the teens and 20 mph wind, but just a smidge of powder blowing around. The CRP is pretty clean, so I took the 20 B grade out for a walk. The dog worked well, 5 points, 3 hens, 1 rooster..... and 1 rabbit. 1 shot, 1 kill, I hope that he has more friends. Only allowed 2 roosters, we had enough for the day.
Image[/img]
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

RR
Good to see you out with that nice 20 bore!!! Nice ringneck and the Dog looks like it got plenty of work also. Please tell us a little bit about the B grade and of course that wonderful dog? Good luck on your future outings.
Paul
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

It is great when it all comes together........
Thanks for the photos and shareing what it is all about. Do tell more about that sweet 20.
Jess
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
R.R.

Post by R.R. »

Well, the gun is as lettered. 20 B grade, 26" Krupp barrels, M/F, 14 1/8" lop to factory buttplate, about 5 1/2 pounds. Shipped to Simmons Hardware in 1917. It is my favorite Fox.
Off topic, my dog is a 2 1/2 year old WP Griffon. She's had well over a thousand grouse/woodcock contacts, but we don't get those kind of opportunities for pheasant. She still has plenty to learn... the both of us.
I also enjoy the hunting pics.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

RR: Looks like a very nice high condition B! Is your gun ejector or extractor? My 12ga B was shipped the same year as yours and looks like a twin. More pictures would be appreciated. Thanks for sharing. You must live in the grouse capital of the world if your 2 year old dog has had 1000 contacts with birds, WOW impressive.
Here are a few pictures of my B. Craig
Last edited by fox-admin on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boocoo

b grade

Post by boocoo »

Hi,

Are they krupp steel ?

Pat
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

OK now I have to find a good B grade :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

Very nice guns guys.
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
R.R.

Post by R.R. »

Pat,
yes, Krupp.
Craig,
yes, it's a B grade, no ejectors... just the way I like them.
Actually, this is the dog's 3rd season. She was backing naturally and pointing her own birds (ocassionally) between 5-8 months. When I say contacts, I mean exposure to both grouse and woodcock, not all pointed..... and I surely don't shoot that well. But I have done my best to give her the opportunity to learn over the last 3 seasons, well over 1000 wild birds. Between work being slow, and my vacation time, we were able to spend 29 days this fall season in the woods. The depth of the snow will keep us from chasing many more this year unless we get a warm-up. We will continue to chase a few pheasant around closer to my workplace. She still has plenty of growing up to do. We may even try to pick on some ducks and geese this year.
Thanks for asking,
Rick.
R.R.

Post by R.R. »

Jess, ... good luck!
Craig, thanks for the added photos. Maybe I can come up with better photos.
I like to say," I live where the grouse and trout live.... but work 300 miles away".
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

R.R.
Researcher will correct me if Im wrong but I think Simmons was a large hardware outfit out of ST. Louis MO. back at that time. I did own one Fox S-worth that lettered there.
Here is a pick of a 1915 vintage BE 12 bore that I posted last year, some new members might not have seen this one.
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
james-l

Post by james-l »

I am thinking that B grades with the later style engraving must be fairly rare, any ideas on how many were produced? I once owned a 16 ga BE that I sold in a weak moment and have regretted it ever since.

Jim
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Great guns!! Thanks for sharing guys. My second generation B-Grade 12-gauge 28-inch 4 weight barrel straight grip is pictured in the B-Grade section of our web site --
http://www.foxcollectors.com/b%20grade.htm

My B-Grade is only 14 numbers higher then my similarly configured old meat-in-the-pot A-Grade that was shipped July 1, 1914, and the B-Grade wasn't shipped until September 23, 1918. The card for my B-Grade says "See B 21349 for all dimensions". Anyone out there have 21349??
Share the knowledge
abner

Post by abner »

David: The suspense is killing me, did you order a letter for Fox #21349?
Ralph