Love for the West?

AHFCA lists all upcoming events on this Forum. Be sure to check back frequently to see what exciting shooting events, displays, and meeting are scheduled.

Love for the West?

Postby Johnm11 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:26 pm

I have briefed through the topics in the events forum and unless I'm missing something, the events are all in the East, Northeast, and Midwest. Did I miss something West of the Mississippi?

I do realize that most members are probably from the East but I'd like to put my 2 cents in for something out west. I live in Mesa, AZ (suburb of Phoenix). Granted we treat the 3 summer months like northerners treat winter. We just don't plan events like this outside in the summer. But I want to draw a mental picture of an event in January in shorts and a polo shirt. Ben Avery range is world class facility, though I must admit I have never been to the shotgun range there.

If you want to see what it is like in January in Phoenix, just google up some videos of the Phoenix Open that is held on Superbowl Sunday the last week in January/first week of February. Pretty much from October to May the weather is real nice in the Southwest.

So, are there any events already out West? Southern California, New Mexico, Arizona, or Colorado. If not, would a respite from the snow and freezing weather be of interest?

OK, I'm just rambling. But except for funerals I haven't been back East since I left New York for destination unknown. And that was in 1978!
Johnm11

Re: Love for the West?

Postby JasonPeck » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:31 pm

It's not a shooting event, but I was planning on attending the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show in January 2020. And perhaps help man an AHFCA table.
AHFCA Life Member
JasonPeck

Postby Johnm11 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm

JasonPeck wrote:It's not a shooting event, but I was planning on attending the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show in January 2020. And perhaps help man an AHFCA table.

Well, maybe we can turn Vegas 2020 into an impromptu shooting event. But the arms show sounds like a destination on it's own.
Johnm11

Postby jolly bill » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 am

JasonPeck wrote:It's not a shooting event, but I was planning on attending the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show in January 2020. And perhaps help man an AHFCA table.

Jason and John,

I believe next years Las Vegas Gun Show will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday February 28 and 29th and March 1st, 2020. Here's the link for more info: http://www.antiquearmsshow.com/

Jolly
jolly bill

Postby Johnm11 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:42 am

Thanks Jolly,

Even if it is not a shooting event, maybe we can gather some Western Fox owners.
Johnm11

Postby jolly bill » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:06 pm

Johnm11 wrote:Thanks Jolly,

Even if it is not a shooting event, maybe we can gather some Western Fox owners.

That sorta used to be that way several years ago at the Vegas show.

A varied collection of Fox guys, most of them forum members gathering at the gun show.

I didn't make it last year. First January Vegas show I missed in 23 years. Hope to make the next one Feb. 2020.

Be nice to meet more of you Western USA guys. And yes, you too Jason from Canada, eh.

Jolly
jolly bill

Postby Johnm11 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:15 pm

All of you from Northern climates convince your wives that a vacation in the Southwest in March is a great thing. Average temperatures in March in Vegas are a high of 72 and a low of 39 with 2 days of rain in the month on average.
Johnm11

Postby Researcher » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:37 pm

For nine years I did the A.H. Fox Collectors Association, Inc. table at the Winter Las Vegas Antique & Sporting Arms Show. Only got help from three or four other members as far as items to display went. Special thanks to John Albano for bringing a C HE & his Becker and to Bill Johnson for a mind blowing "Joshua Green" gun. Early on, some of the other board members came to the show in the earlier years, but the last three I was on my own. I twice did a Fox display on the pool table at The Nimrod Classic at Big Sky Sporting Clays near Polson, Montana.

Back in the day (2004 and earlier) the PGCA had a big presence at the Las Vegas show. A couple of years ago they tried it again, and participation was feeble at best.
Share the knowledge
Researcher

Postby Johnm11 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:21 pm

I kind of get it..... This genre just feels like its an East/Midwest kind of thing.
Johnm11

Postby loggy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:58 am

David, Thanks for your work at the show. All of the Fox guns that I own came either directly or indirectly from that show. At the time it was the best way for an Idaho boy to find anything. The last few years that I made it the pickings were slim. I think I enjoyed seeing friends even more than the guns. It was a way to meet you and the East coast collectors. Hopefully I can make it this year. The collecting works has certainly changed. John
loggy

Return to AHFCA Events