Sterlingworth 30" 20 Ga Gunbroker

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
delbocavista

Sterlingworth 30" 20 Ga Gunbroker

Post by delbocavista »

Currently watching an auction involving a 20 ga Sterlingworth with 30" barrels. Is it just me or does the serial number on barrel flats seem less than authentic?
FoxintheHenHouse

Re: Sterlingworth 30" 20 Ga Gunbroker

Post by FoxintheHenHouse »

I agree. I think I also see very faint "ghosts" of the numbers that were supposed to be removed before restamping the "new serial number", but are still visible. And surprised with the bidders. Maybe they see something, I don't or they don't see something, I do. :wink:

FoxntheHenHouse
delbocavista

Post by delbocavista »

First thing that I noticed was the uneven stagger to numbers, none of my Fox guns regardless of gauge were anything but in a straight line. Other questionable aspect was the "font" on number "2" doesn't match anything else. I do see what appears to be a ghost of digits past now that you mention it. If it has been rebarreled in its history, what would the factory be inclined to do if it were tasked with fitting an extra/used set by the gun owner? It is a rare barrel set for sure, I would think factory would have obliged whatever the owner was willing to pay for, maybe to include restamping.
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

No inspection period on it. Bobby
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Appears to me that a member of our forum bought the gun.
grouse28

Post by grouse28 »

In a fit of blinded weakness for a 30" 20 gauge I did win the bid.
However after a pleasant discussion with seller, I did not purchase it.
All is good. The gun is nice on the outside. I did send for a letter on it for what it's worth.
Would still be a nice shooter, but not as an original gun.
49packard

Post by 49packard »

No C&R FFL' s honored either. Brian
CableguyJJS3

Post by CableguyJJS3 »

Wasn't that pleasant a conversation apparently. He threw some pretty serious shade your way in his relisiting. Although in doing that, he disclosed the concerns over the possibility of renumbered barrels. Interesting to see how that affects the bidding this go around....
grouse28

Post by grouse28 »

There was no hostility that I percieved, he was understanding. In the end I should have thought it over more prior to bidding. I just wanted a 30" 20 and shot from the hip.
Not sure I deserved the recognition on the second listing, well maybe. I did try to educate him a little with the issue with the stampings, he was not aware of the implications. It is a very nice gun otherwise.