Advice for a Vintage Shotgun Newbie

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Cthulhu

Re: Advice for a Vintage Shotgun Newbie

Post by Cthulhu »

Last edited by Cthulhu on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

I tend to agree with the don’t open the chokes and spreaders work well.
But if you find a average condition sterlingworth that fits you that maybe your perfect bird gun after you have the chokes redone to suite you style.
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Researcher - Great looking Foxes you have there and a beautiful dog!
That picture was from the first time I took Skitso hunting in early October 2005, for California Valley Quail down along the Tucannon River in Columbia County. She will be 15 years and 4 months tomorrow. I took her out for a couple of hours today and got two Pheasants with MITP. One was a solid point and the other by accident, but she found both downed birds. Not an easy time with her aging hearing and eyesight. Physically she can get around quite well. The vet says she has the heart of a four year old. Her 12-year old daughter Dashur had to be put down this spring with congestive heart failure.
Share the knowledge
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Dave;
Would you happen to remember the name of that "old Annapolis, Md. quail hunter" ?
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Last edited by Cthulhu on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Dave;
Would you happen to remember the name of that "old Annapolis, Md. quail hunter" ?
No. That is just what the dealer I bought the gun from down at The Great Southern Weapons Fair told me.
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Dave,

So nice that you got out with Skitso at 15+ years..... good for both of you!! My older Lab Magnum is 12+ this year and the time is definitely showing. Terrible lameness the next day.
EVERY outing is a BONUS. I haven't ever gotten more than 13 1/2 years out of a Lab. Sucks. His "brother" Splasher is 2 1/2 and primed to go like a Ferrari under control and it very difficult working them together, so I rarely do. Best wishes & thoughts.
tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Cthulhu, I’ve gone both routes. My CE Fox clays gun was a very tight F/F and I had it opened (full Fox taper work) to LM/LM which has been my go to clays choke for about 20 years. I also use RST and home brewed spreader loads in my hunting guns. Early grouse and any mudbats I use spreaders, especially #10 spreaders in the 16 and 20 Sterlys. They especially pop out of a tightly choked gun. That way I still have my tighter chokes for pheasant/huns too.

BTW, my son-in-law is a big fan of HP Lovecraft.
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Sorry, It's a 1912 A Grade 20 ga.[/quote]

Again, I really don't believe opening chokes a wee bit on a re-blued, re-colored (Gen-1???) A-grade will land you in Chapter 7. It's a shooter/hunting gun, go for it.

Now, if this was a CE 20 with 82% original condition, I'd advise you to tie your hands behind your back and leave her be!!
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

TOOL MAN wrote:

Now, if this was a CE 20 with 82% original condition,
heck---if anyone's first find was an 82% CE 20 - :D use your money to keep shopping :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Last edited by Cthulhu on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Much of your last post appears to have been echoed from the MM Fox book and while interesting reading, the history summary doesn't "add value" to the thread at least imo. There's a fair number of dedicated Foxers here who can recite that stuff and to them it might come across as teaching elementary math to a gent who already knows calculus.

Regarding opening that choke, since the gun is F&F I assume you mean the right not the left choke as written? On the other hand there are those who prefer a more open choke on the left barrel for close-in shots. Whatever, go for it right or left if that's what you want but be sure to get a GOOD smith to do the work. I've seen more than one Fox that's been been goofed up by hacker "gunsmiths" who got the new choke cockeyed with the bore.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Last edited by Cthulhu on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Cthulhu wrote: - First year a 20-gauge is known to have shipped (CE Grade, No 200011)
Huh, you might want to check on that. :)
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Last edited by Cthulhu on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.