Fox-Proof

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Researcher

Fox-Proof

Post by Researcher »

Sometime back there was a thread about the Fox-Proof on one of the web sites. I reported what was stated in the period ads and Fox catalogues I had at the time, and suggested that A.H. Fox Gun Co. started using the Fox-Proof oval stamp around 1910. I just scored a 1908 A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogue, Campfire Catalogue No. 21, and the Fox-Proof oval is shown therein. So, they started using it a bit earlier then I previously reported. Always something new to learn!
Share the knowledge
kcw12

Post by kcw12 »

Researcher,
Quick question, what were fox guns proofed to?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

They never tell us that!! The text in the catalogue says "in accordance with European government proof houses."
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Dave, congrats on the catalog!!!! Marshfellow
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Researcher wrote:They never tell us that!! The text in the catalogue says "in accordance with European government proof houses."

By this point Liege was proofing 80% above service load.

This would have been in-line with the Engliish and German proof houses at the time.

The statement from Fox still leaves a lot of questions. Were they proofing every gun? Who prepared the proof loads? Was there a 2 step process, ie barrels are proofed, then the assembled gun is proofed? Did they have a superior proof as many of the proof houses offered?

Pete