1912 Pin gun with Ejectors

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
MKETOOL

1912 Pin gun with Ejectors

Post by MKETOOL »

I recently found a 12ga pin gun made in 1912 with ejectors. I had found a posting on the internet that said Michael McIntosh wrote in his book on A.H. Fox guns that he had only heard of 2 hinge pin guns with ejectors, 61412 and another whose owner couldn't produce evidence of it's existence. I do not have this book to check this so I was wondering if this is true and that I may have found the only other ejector gun. Any input would be appreciated.
bamboozler

Re: 1912 Pin gun with Ejectors

Post by bamboozler »

Well, if you read it on the Internet, it must be true! :wink:

I also read on the Internet that of the 12,000 or so pin guns produced its been extrapolated that approximately 400 were equipped with ejectors. Congratulations on your find of one of these ejector guns!
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

So far in my table of observed specimens I've recorded nine "pin gun" Sterlingworth Ejectors out of a total of 59 observed guns. All from the 589xx serial number range on up into the 621xx range. The 1910 The Sterlingworth Co. catalogue doesn't offer ejectors, but by the 1911 A.H. Fox Gun Co. "Campfire" Catalogue No. 24, they are offered on the Sterlingworth.
Share the knowledge
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

MKETOOL I own pin guns # 59714 and #60431 with ejectors. Both guns are Sterlingworth Standards sporting heavy 30" bbls and tight chokes The guns have plain hinge pins without screw slots. I lettered 60431 and it was shipped 1912. I have yet to letter 59714 but it must have been shipped after May 2 1911 as that is the last patent date on the forend iron. Pin guns with ejectors seem to be uncommon but the same could be said for any Sterlingworth with ejectors this was a $15.00 option on a $35.00 gun in 1912. Paul
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
thepalm0314

Post by thepalm0314 »

Add 58982 to the list

12 ga sterly pin gun. 26 inch mod full ejectors.

J
James Palmer
Interested in the preservation of Vintage American Shotguns
I live in CA
JasonPeck

Post by JasonPeck »

Add 60027 & 61028 to the list. ;)
AHFCA Life Member
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The only other Sterlingworth Ejector Brush "Pin Gun" I've recorded is also in the 589xx serial number range.

The $35.00 with $15.00 extra for ejectors that Paul quoted was the "List Price" while the actual "Net Price" that they actually sold for was $25.00 and $37.50.
1911 Campfire Catalogue No. 24 page 15
1911 Campfire Catalogue No. 24 page 15
1911 Campfire Catalogue No. 24 page 14
1911 Campfire Catalogue No. 24 page 14
1912 Campfire Catalogue No. 25 page 14
1912 Campfire Catalogue No. 25 page 14
Share the knowledge
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

JasonPeck wrote:Add 60027 & 61028 to the list. ;)

Need specs for my tables -- barrel length, etc.
Share the knowledge
JasonPeck

Post by JasonPeck »

60027 30" F/F #1 barrels, front and mid bead sights.

61028 30" F/F.

Do not have measurements, stock dimensions or weights.
AHFCA Life Member
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

About the only things on my table that apply to Sterlingworth "pin guns" in this range are barrel length, whether or not the gun has ejectors, and whether it has the Fox-Kremer or F.T. Russell forearm fastening.
Share the knowledge
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

59736 Ejector

30" Number 1 barrels. 7 lb 7 ounces. .023 and .030 chokes which show no indication of being altered.
Northern Bob

Post by Northern Bob »

I've got a pin gun ejector with 30" barrels, but I don't recall the serial number. I'll have to pull it out and check. It's probably already on the list. One of the ejectors' face broke away from the shaft. I don't suppose that is an easy fix.
jsdboy

i have 61028

Post by jsdboy »

Mr. Peck:
did you at any time sell your Sterlingworth pin gun with ejector's recently? I bought the gun from a chap in Alberta Canada last February (2017) and it is just now being refurbished - it should be back to me and pictures ready to post by the first week in august.

it came with a broken ejector on the right side some pitting on the muzzles from poor storage, and a prettyworn out finish on the receiver. A Mr. Jason Barden of Pumpkin Mountain Fox Parts Kindly provided me with another ejector- that required extensive fitting by the gunsmith, but it is now repaired, along with a complete recut of the "Sterlingworth" stamping and little decorations around the borders of the receiver. it is also color case hardened again and restocked to my dimensions in a good piece of black walnut from southern Ontario. barrels re-blued, ejectors fitted and timed and triggers tuned. I had to break from the traditional splinter for end which I do not care for and now have a "hybrid" beavertail/splinter.

I shot it a bit prior to getting it refurbished, the chokes came out to be a 0.03/0.035" constriction -they did not seem to be overly tight/full on the trap practice field. the barrels conformed to the #2 wt. that Michael McIntosh posts on p. 152 of his book (30" 3lb 14oz.) and the entire gun weighed in at 7lb 15oz. thus it appears to be a 'Standard grade' Sterlingworth Pin Gun as per Mr. McIntosh's description. I also have a 'field grade' pin gun, which feels like a 20 ga. compared to the std. grade one.

My friends have been jokingly calling this big heavy and beautiful shotgun "Curts' Bo Whoop". I am not sure if this is sacrilegious or not, but I don't think that Nash Buckingham would really mind . . .

I do not really understand the process of obtaining papers of provenance for this gun - dose one have to become a member of the fox collectors ass. to be able to request this??

At any rate, I just wanted to drop a note to say that #61028 still exists- it came to me pretty beat up and my gut told me this might be one of those guns that could have some serious $ dumped into it, and it may even be recouped if need be -the only problem being that I reside in Canada - but I notice that there are more an more services for brokering guns across the border coming up. if any one would like photo's posted jut yell- but I need the finished product back in my hot little mitts first!!
67galaxie

Post by 67galaxie »

I love this thread
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I do not really understand the process of obtaining papers of provenance for this gun - dose one have to become a member of the fox collectors ass. to be able to request this??
The A.H. Fox Collectors Association, Inc. only have photocopies of the production cards for the graded double guns, A- to FE-Grade, and the single barrel trap guns. The actual cards for all the Ansley H. Fox guns, including the Sterlingworths, reside at Savage Arms Corp. and since the retirement of the dedicated historian, the letters folks have received from them have been dismal.
Share the knowledge