The Sterlingworth finally showed up!

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
yavapaigunworks

The Sterlingworth finally showed up!

Post by yavapaigunworks »

I'm super excited that it's finally here. As I had already figured, it had been restocked rather poorly at some point in its life, and needs a little bit of love. The spring that sits below the trigger metal screw is missing, which I believe is the reason that the bolt doesn't stay locked open when the action is opened up. Also, the safety button is awfully stiff, but I imagine that with a little bit of a cleanup, it would run just fine. Also, the bolt is worn as the lever is sitting to the left of the tang. I don't have a way to measure the bores or the chokes right now, not accurately anyways. With my calipers, the muzzles measure .719 and .725, left and right respectively. Once I get a hold of my snap gauges (currently at school) I can get a better measurement. I know it's not a proper bore gauge, but it'll get me close. The finish on all the metal is worn of course. With the fact that it's already been restocked once, I won't feel bad about rust bluing the barrels and replacing the stock. I can't wait to get it out and shoot it! I am curious as to the face of the barrels and the fact that you can see solder around the front sight bead. I would figure that it would be a slightly neater job soldering the sight bead and filling in the area around the ribs better, even if it is just a Sterlingworth. Anywho, here's the pictures.
SXS ohio

Re: The Sterlingworth finally showed up!

Post by SXS ohio »

You arte going to have lots of enjoyment getting her back....I do not see any real issues there, should be worth well your time...SXS Ohio
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I'm thinking you can get whatever you need from Jason at Pumpkin Mountain. If the top lever won't stay to the right, but the spring is strong then you might be looking at a worn out trip. He can also provide the bottom action screw which doesn't look correct. Regarding the buttstock, I'm guessing Jason will have some semi-inlet replacement stocks, but you could also consider something from Wenig's or Boyds if you are handy with wood working hand tools and exercise patience. Jason is a great guy to deal with for sure. Most of us over the years have gotten replacement parts from him.

https://www.ahfoxparts.com/
yavapaigunworks

I hadn't considered the trip being worn, just that the spring that runs it is missing. I'll probably order both just to be safe. The lockup is still super tight even with the lever hanging over to the left, so I'm going to go shoot it today. I've got some STS hulls with 7/8oz loads loaded up around 7000psi to go test it with. I can't wait. I'm super excited to take my first Fox out!
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

The trigger plate screw is an incorrect replacement and that in itself can cause you some problems. When you remove the trigger plate there will be a small spring underneath that fits in a hole in the action, it is easily lost, without that spring the top lever won't stay in the open position ( just something you might want to look at). Poor stock fit is in itself often a cause of safety linkage drag. As far as the muzzle end of the barrels goes, if the ribs are tight I wouldn't mess with it on a shooter grade gun. A fellow can get himself into a mess there for no good reason unless you intend to do a full restoration for fun ( not profit). All in all it looks like you have the makings of a good field gun there. Best of luck. Fred
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
yavapaigunworks

Thanks for the heads up on the screw. I wonder what it's from, since it has some light engraving on it. Before I order anything, I'm going to see if I can use this gun as a repair for class. I needed a shotgun to repair for class anyways, so if I can kill two birds with one stone, all the better.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Maybe it's the angle of the picture but I can't see the trip pin, just looks like an empty hole in the photo. Good project gun. Are you in a class for gunsmiths or machinists?
yavapaigunworks

I'm in the gunsmithing program at Yavapai College in Prescott. I really like since it is geared towards building custom guns and modifications rather than just repair. I took the buttstock off so I could clean out the years of dirt and buildup, and the trip is in there, but there's no spring holding it up. I already sent an email to Pumpkin Mountain asking about replacement parts, so it should be fully functional shortly.
yavapaigunworks

I have another question for the masses. Is there supposed to be any linkage that engages the safety when the action is opened like on other makes of double guns, or are the fox safeties the sole responsibility of the shooter?
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

yavapaigunworks wrote:I have another question for the masses. Is there supposed to be any linkage that engages the safety when the action is opened like on other makes of double guns, or are the fox safeties the sole responsibility of the shooter?
There is an automatic safety. Looks like a penny nail with the head removed. Often when guns are restocked they are removed so the stocker doesn't have to drill a small hole through the head of the stock. There's an original Fox 20 Ga sterlingworth stock for sale on Ebay right now. Take a look and you will see the picture that shows the head of the stock and where the hole is drilled for the safety rod.

We are not supposed to post thing for sale in this forum even if its not our item, but I'm sure you can find the picture I referring too.
yavapaigunworks

Thanks. I found it and see the hole. That's another part I'm going to have to buy as well it seems.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Save your money on the safety rod. Each of them is a slightly different length. You can make it out of a 6 or 8d finish nail, just mild steel. Where the safety rod goes through the stock you'll often see a crack develop on the outside of the stock due to wood removal of the interior hole. Best of luck at gunsmith school.
yavapaigunworks

Thanks for the information. I finally measured the bores and remeasured the chokes. The gun is choked .014 and .008, left and right. I need to build a patterning board and see what she does. I also called Jason and placed an order for the required parts. I plan to have everything back to proper working order within a week or two. Than its back to saving pennies for new wood.