Auto safety rod

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Fin2Feather

Auto safety rod

Post by Fin2Feather »

I'm one of the few on the planet who doesn't mind the auto safety; most of my guns have it. I'd like to reactivate it on my A grade 20 but need the rod; are the rods generic or specific to the gun? If they're specific, any way to tell which one I'd need, and is there a source? Thanks...
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
fullchoke16

Re: Auto safety rod

Post by fullchoke16 »

Phil, An 8 or 10d finish nail cut down to the correct length is ideal for a safety rod application. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the length right but finish nails are inexpensive. I think on average it takes me 2 or 3 tries to get exactly what I want. Each one I've made is an individual length specific to the gun so I can't really give you an exact length. A hack saw, grinder and a file are all you need. Hope this helps. Fred
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Thanks Fred!
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
J. A. Early

Post by J. A. Early »

Having once put the sear pin in the stock instead of the auto-safety rod, if you will cut the nail to the same length as the sear pin, you will be close if not right on the money. Then put it in and with the receiver on the stock (just held by hand) make sure that the safety can go all the way forward. If it does not it will interfere with the triggers. Then move the lever and make sure it pops the safety back over the notch/hump. Done.

Just made one last week.