Bobwhite hunt

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
AmarilloMike

Bobwhite hunt

Post by AmarilloMike »

Fox XE 20 gauge, 26" barrels, 5lbs 10oz, 1-5/8 x 2-15/16 x 14" plus 3/8 castoff, choked 5/1000th, 7/1000th, half pistol grip, Kautzky single trigger, 1" thick leather covered pad.

I was shooting RSTs, 3/4oz of #8s.

Five year old Ginger on the left retrieving the bird, 12 month old Jazzy on right. Those are GPS collars. Neither dog hunted with a training collar. Jazzy has never had a training collar on.

Twelve month old Jazzy pointing:

Ginger on the left backing Jazzy (in the center of the picture, hard to see)

I hunted on the Salt Fork of the Red River, 3000 acres, no feeders, not much road. Paws on the ground at 10AM. Got back to the truck at 5:15PM. Carried lunch in my game bag. Only had to carry water for me since the dogs could water in the river and seep tanks.

It was a wonderful day. We walked for seven hours. We moved fourteen different, individual coveys. Jazzy, my puppy, learned to track coveys. She was already pointing, backing, hunting dead, and sometimes retrieving. Jazzy really hit her stride this hunt. Five year old Ginger had a good day too. Hunted by myself. Knocked down fifteen birds, put fourteen in the bag. I hunt bobs fifty days or so each season. This hunt was in the top one percent of my hunts.

I shot the little Fox well (for me). Hadn't shot it in a year. Pulled it out of the gunsafe and took it hunting. The Kautzky single trigger has not failed a single time in the time I have owned the gun. At 5-1/2 pounds it is a pleasure to carry. Shot a double with it yesterday. My dogs found both birds.

I have the factory build card on it and it was obviously ordered as a bobwhite gun. And it sure is.
Never trust a dog to guard your food.
DSizemore

Re: Bobwhite hunt

Post by DSizemore »

This was indeed a great day. Good for you!! And thanks for sharing...
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

......my kinda gun! Great pics..... interesting country.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Mike very nice---- great dog work and a beautiful gun always puts a exclamation point on a hunt. The quail populations must be recovering in TX with more moisture in the last year.?
Keep the pictures coming as the season progresses. Didn't u add a 12ga XE to your gun safe? Have you hunted with it yet??
boocoo

Post by boocoo »

What the serial range and spec's ? As I'm sure most feel here You can't beat a graded A.H. fox small bore. If You dont need that X.E. Anymore I'm sure I can find some room for it next to some other small bore Ansley's so it will have some good really really good straight legged friends and a couple of heavy weight supers,
I do need a round grip x.e. 20 so I think I can a slot in the top row for it to be comfortable in.

My thoughts are a un messed in small bore are under valued and hence is why I pay almost double current market value for a good small bore... They are Worth every penny and the feel and workmanship is second to none In The American gun world...........

Looks like you ha d a great day with a great gun and some great rst ammo that can't be beat. Is the gun choked tight and do you sue the spreader loads and if so ? I stocked up on so much regular stuff I hate to go buy the spreader ammo because I will then never use what I have.

God Bless America and let's get are freedom back together..
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Mike what a hunt and the wonderful XE and fine dogs! Reminds me of the hunts in 70s I made with my straight grip 20 ga XE and three of the best English pointer I ever owned.They are all gone except for this old 74 year old man! Bobby
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Terrific, Mike, the dogs, the gun and the pictures. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

Y'all are very welcome. Thank you the compliments and for tolerating my constant bragging about my dogs.

boocoo the specs on the gun are:

Fox XE 20 gauge, 26" barrels, 5lbs 10oz, 1-5/8 x 2-15/16 x 14" plus 3/8 castoff, choked skeet and skeet, half pistol grip, Kautzky single trigger, 1" thick leather covered pad. It's serial is 2020XX.

The factory build card shows that it was ordered to be cylinder and full and to be "less than 6lbs." Shipped to Abercrombie and Fitch. Unfortunately it isn't listed in A&F's records, now at Griffin and Howe. Mr. Beech said its just a few serial numbers short of where their records start.

The stock has 3/8" less drop now than the 3-3/8 DAH the factory card specifies. So it has been bent up.

Yes Admin, I did pick up a nice light Fox XE 12 with factory 26" barrels. So far I have taken huns, sharptails and roosters with it. Of course, it being such a handsome gun, I took pictures of it with each of those game birds. Also carried it in a NSTRA field trial. But I haven't taken it out for a bobwhite hunt yet. But plan to take it out soon. I owe the AHFCA a story on the gun for the newletter and will be sure and get that done soon.

Bobby I would love to have that straight grip XE 20. Your post made me think of my late dogs, gone forever except in pictures and memory. Would that the dogs lasted as long as these old doubles.

Thanks again for all the nice things written here about the gun and dogs.

Mike
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Beautiful dogs, great gun, gorgeous birds!! Congrats!!
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Mike the straight grip XE 20 ga was one of the first ones made with no rebates,Krupp 28 inch barrels,double triggers,snap on forend.I hope someone in Fox Collectors owns it now.All the bobwhites are gone also! Kind of makes me blue but I had my days! Bobby
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

Bobby I miss pheasant hunting with my Dad, uncles, brothers, nephews, cousins, brother-in-laws, friends, vendors and customers and their assorted bird dogs. We would have sometimes as many as thirty people. My father would have thousands of acres of milo stubble, wheat stubble, corn stubble, lake beds and dry lake beds lined up for us to hunt. We would head out to visit the farmers a couple of weeks before season. We would give them hams and fruit cakes and visit perhaps a half hour with each. They almost always gave us permission to hunt their land. This annual ritual was observed from the late sixties through the late nineties.

Our farms are sold now and I don't have the contacts or energy he had. But at the time I thought it would go on forever. I faded out on organiziing those pheasant hunts just a couple of years after my father passed.

Tonight I will I give my dogs an extra scratch behind the ear in honor of your late English Pointers and those sometimes-trained Texas Panhandle labs of decades long gone.

Mike thank you.

Best,

Mike
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Mike I hear you,hunt as much as you can! Bobby
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Mike, sounds like a day in heaven!!!! Great gun, Great dogs, beautiful country and wild Bobs!!!! What more could a man ask for!!
Regards - Foxnut
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

Thanks Foxnut!