Sterlingworths with extra factory engraving?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
mhead

Sterlingworths with extra factory engraving?

Post by mhead »

Has anyone seen or heard of sterlingworths having extra factory engraving. They were standardized guns with certain options but could it be ordered with extra engraving. I believe vintage firearms has one listed as extra factory engraving and i believe it's a 16 bore. I didn't pay it much attention thinking it wasn't original. But after today i question. I had two 20 bore sterlingworths one an ejector gun and the other an extractor. The guns serial numbers were different by about 150 pretty close. The engraving on the two guns were the same and also match the other 16 bore that is listed as extra factory engraving. It's odd to see three with the same engraving in different parts of the country. Im going back to get pictures sense i didn't have my camera today. I will try to post pictures of both of the guns soon. Is this possible on sterlingworths??
Twice Barrel

Re: Sterlingworths with extra factory engraving?

Post by Twice Barrel »

It would be nice to see a photo of the engraving on your guns as a point of reference.
mhead

Post by mhead »

You can look at the one listed on vintage firearms web site as a reference until i get the pictures. It's a 16 on their site. Im going back this week for pictures.
mhead

Post by mhead »

Went back today and got the pictures of the two guns. If i can figure out how to post them they will be up soon. Not sure if i know how. Any help would be great.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Has anyone seen or heard of sterlingworths having extra factory engraving.
Over the last 30 years of so I've seen a handful of Sterlingworths with a bit of extra engraving. The first time I saw it was at a Pennsylvania Gun Collectors show at the Monroeville Mall pretty close to 30 years ago. The strange thing was that there were two of them at that show. Left me wondering if they might not have been a special batch for a big dealer/distributor in the Pittsburgh area. Maybe J.H. Johnston? Unfortunately that was about four or five years before I started recording specs and serial numbers of Sterlingworths I observed. I've since see a couple for sale on various internet sites. I've not gotten a serial number off any of them, and I don't know of anyone who has gotten a letter from Roe or John on one.
Share the knowledge
mhead

Post by mhead »

Thanks. I have uploaded the pictures of one of the 20 strelys on photo bucket but don't know how to transfer them to this page. The other pictures i will have to down load on the computer before sending due to sd card. Im not a technology person so forgive me please as i learn.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Click on the photo in photobucket; to the right you will see four choices with links beside them. You want the bottom one, IMG.
Copy the link and paste it in your reply here.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
mhead

Post by mhead »

Thanks for your help but i still can't figure it out. Something so simple so hard.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

When you log into your photobucket account you'll see some links near the top of the page. Look for "library" and click on that; if you have your photos divided up in more than one album (hunting, fishing, whatever, etc) you'll see a list come up. Click on the album that contains the photo you want to post Small thumbnails of all the photos in the album (by page) should appear. Find the one you want to post and click on it. A larger version of that photo should appear, with the four links to the right of it (Email & IM, Direct, HTML, IMG); for this particular site you want the one that says IMG. To the right of that there is a box with a link in it. Click on the box and it should flash yellow and say "copied". Come here, go to post a reply, and then right click in this reply box; a box will appear with some choices. Select the one that says "paste" and click on it. Your link should appear and look like this (I added the X next to IMG so the photo wouldn't appear):

[XIMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w109 ... G_0516.jpg[/IMG]

Type any message you want to have in the reply with the photo. When you click "preview" or "submit" below the reply box your photo should be in it, like so:

Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
mhead

Post by mhead »

mhead

Post by mhead »

mhead

Post by mhead »

mhead

Post by mhead »

mhead

Post by mhead »

mhead

Post by mhead »