Letters/Look Ups?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
wannagohunting

Letters/Look Ups?

Post by wannagohunting »

So are there no look=ups/letters available for Sterlingworths ?
'AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAIN'T FIX WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX'
OH Osthaus

Re: Letters/Look Ups?

Post by OH Osthaus »

far from the expert,

but I think letters are available

card lookups are not

someone can correct me if I am off on this
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

There is indeed. Take a look at this link:

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/con ... tters.html
wannagohunting

Post by wannagohunting »

OK Thank you,
I guess my question revolves around That if you become a member it says you get "one free Look up per year. Graded Guns only"
So What is a LOOK Up VS a Factory Letter? Are they the same thing?
And if I became a member my Free look up Does not include my Sterlingworth anyway.
On a tight budget just trying to understand my options.
Thank you.
'AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAIN'T FIX WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX'
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

The cards for the look up are only available for graded guns, as that is what is available to our Board of Directors who graciously donate their time looking them up. A factory letter comes from Mr. Callahan who is the Savage factory historian. Savage Arms purchased Fox Gun Co. in 1930 and owns all surviving records including the information on Sterlingworth grade guns. Most Sterlingworth records will give you a shipping date and in some cases, who it was shipped to. Possibly the original configuration of the gun may also be included. Records on Sterlingworths are somewhat sketchy , so prepare to be disappointed if your looking for a bunch of info.
All that said, most of my Foxes are Sterlingworths and personally I wouldn't waste my money on a Factory letter on any of them unless they were a really odd configuration that I was wanting to confirm as original. Hope this clears things up a bit for you. Fred
Recoil is most noticed when I miss