Back trigger not cocking

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Mills

Back trigger not cocking

Post by Mills »

I just acquired a Philadelphia Arms Fox which I am very happy with, but the back trigger does not cock about half the time. Not sure if there is a quick fix or if I just need a pro to look at it. The safety button is a little sticky and that may be part of the problem or another problem
bbman3

Re: Back trigger not cocking

Post by bbman3 »

Mills sorry I have never worked on this type Fox.Like you say a good cleaning might correct your problem.Bobby
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Mills;
Pretty sure the old girl just needs a good cleaning. Tell us more about your Phila. Arms.
Daryl
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Mills

Post by Mills »

I will post some pictures when I have a chance to get some good ones. It is 18xx serial number range, 30" bbls, wood might be a replacement or refinish but looks good. 12 gauge, obviously.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Mills, you'll want to look for wood interference with the hammer sear, weak sear spring, or sear tip/hammer knotch modified or worn.
fox shooter

Post by fox shooter »

Mills, pull the trigger plate and the hammers are exposed. Check the stirrup that pushes the hammer, then check for any obstruction between the sear and hammer notch. My stirrup was worn through at the pin and was barely hanging on. Cleaning is a plus, it should be an easy fix. Lots of good advice on this forum!
Chris.............AZ
Mills

Post by Mills »

Thanks for all of the help!
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Mills,

If you can't straighten this out yourself I can recommend a 'smith that can resolve this for you, within easy driving distance.

Stan