school me on sterling worth checkering

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
falo308

school me on sterling worth checkering

Post by falo308 »

I recently got a very tight but not cared for sterlingworth serial #115xxx, stock was nor an original fox stock and was very sloppy fitted and was broke...barrels were covered in surface rust but only had peppered pitting....very light.gave $160 for it ...my question is I have the original for arm wood and found an original buttstock and the checkering is flat...is it just worn or is it supposed to be this was...need expert advice before I start sharpening up the patterns
I will be rust bluing the barrels and have very closely mimicked the finish..no case color remains but no rust or pits....I looking to keep it original looking.
setterspell

Re: school me on sterling worth checkering

Post by setterspell »

heres a link to pics of a mint sterlingworth. yes, the checkering is flat topped from the factory.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Fox-St ... =100461518
Nice find
Since Fox guns were 80% hand built, finding an exact fit from a replacement stock is difficult even if its from the same year or even same day of production.
good luck, keep us posted
fox shooter

Post by fox shooter »

Hi Falo, I have 3 Sterlys and they're all flat top cut from the factory. I've recut 2 of them. I don't have a flat top cutter, instead I cut the lines shallow with a 60 degree making sure all lines plus borders are present. Then I'll take a piece of 320 paper, wrap it around a flat eraser and sand the checkering lightly, flattening the checkering and making the diamonds uniform. Once finished I'll mask off the checkering, steam any dents, sand the wood, remove the tape, then wisker it. Let it dry over night, then go through the checkering again with the 60 degree cutter, keeping the lines shallow. The deeper you cut, the smaller your diamonds become. I usually put Dembarts oil on the checkering, let it dry, then mask it off again and start applying your finish. You may remove and mask off the checkering a couple times during the refinishing. Be sure to go through the borders with a tool and remove any finish or oil before masking again. Ask bbman, (Bobby) for his secret to refinishing a nice looking stock, he gave me some good pointers!
Chris...............AZ
falo308

Post by falo308 »

Basically my stock...finish. and heckering is good ...its just flat and was not sure if it was worn or ?....i would like to clean the checkering out ...ill post some pics of my find later today
fox shooter

Post by fox shooter »

I use Murphy's oil soap or a mild detergent (drop of dish soap in water), and scrub with a toothbrush. Brush out the soap with water on a brush or towel. Let it dry, and if the lines need it, run your tool through them and true em up. Last, brush a light coat of Dembart's checkering oil on them, blow or brush out the excess. Sorry, I thought you were re-finishing your stock.
Chris............AZ