20 GAUGE SAVAGE FOX STERLINGWORTH

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
fixer

20 GAUGE SAVAGE FOX STERLINGWORTH

Post by fixer »

Have two questions and hoped someone can help with and answer. Have 20 gauge s/s Sterlingworth serial #265769 which I believe was Mfg. 1935. Gun was check by smith and tight, chamber come up to 2 3/4" have shot RST Paper Best Grade Paper Lite 7/8 load and had them split on paper side of hull any answer to that happening. Purchased Plastic same size and load and will see if that makes a difference. My second question is first trigger which is proud to the left of trigger guard fires left barrel is this something that my have been changed on gun or done at factory. All my double guns have fire right barrel first and trigger is proud to the right of trigger guard. Any help would be greatly appricated.

Fixer
Twice Barrel

Re: 20 GAUGE SAVAGE FOX STERLINGWORTH

Post by Twice Barrel »

Your chambers were most likely bored oversized perhaps when the chambers were lengthened. Hopefully they were not bored too much oversized so you wont have the same problem with plastic hulls which are more elastic than paper hulls.

It sounds lie your triggers have been reversed. It is fairly simple to change them back to fire the right barrel first and will properly align the triggers so they dont protrude beyond the trigger guard unless they have been purposely bent.
ranmcc

Post by ranmcc »

Just for information. I have my Savage Fox Sterlingworth letter with serial number 2645** and the letter says it was shipped in 1936.
3birddogs

Post by 3birddogs »

I could be wrong--not the first time, but I doubt your chambers were lengthened. A 20 SW of that era would have 2 3/4" chambers. I have 2 SW 20's, both in the 266xxx range and are marked 2 3/4 chambers. I shoot standard 20 ga shells thru mine, generally 7/8 loads, but also load 3/4 oz to shoot at clays.
May every spring from now until eternity throb with the drum roll of your wings(RogerLatham)