cracked stock

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Steven

cracked stock

Post by Steven »

I recently noticed a crack in the stock of my 20ga ce. i sent the gun to David Yale for repair and he advised me to continue shooting it as is.
Hoping for some insight from fellow members!
I have photos, but couldn't figure how to add them to this post.
Thank you,
Steven
TOOL MAN

Re: cracked stock

Post by TOOL MAN »

Here are the two photos from Steven's CE 20b

On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Steven

Post by Steven »

Thank you toolman!
Is that something I should be able to do myself?
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

I am sure others more knowledgeable will also comment but, if I remember correctly, that crack looks to be in part of the bearing surface of the receiver. If it is touching the receiver at that point, it will eventually get worse. It is however safe to shoot. This will definitely not be an easy repair to do correctly, but that also depends on how extensive the crack is.
Neil
Student gunsmith
http://guns.claasen.us/
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

The crack in your stock looks like started where the stock was relieved for the top lever yoke screw,The screw head is long so it pushes the auto safety rod back when you open gun,and puts safety on.i would get a good double gunsmith that is familar with Foxes to repair your stock.I would not shoot it until repaired.Not many CE 20s around.I have seen many Foxes with this crack. Bobby
David D

Post by David D »

I used Doug Carpenter to repair my Fox stock and have been very happy with the results.
I love all of my SxS's, especially my Grade A Fox made in Utica NY
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Like Bobby says, get it repaired ASAP before shooting it any more. A GOOD woodman can probably make the crack "go away". You dont want to shoot it more and have that piece of wood go flying and get damaged or loose it. If it were my gun I would be shooting low pressure/recoil shells....RST.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Steven

Post by Steven »

I thank everyone for their helpful information. I intend to get it repaired asap.
Would love to hear any other recommendations for stock repair people.
Thank you again,
Steven
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Yeah Steven, it's actually a fairly simple process. You will need to register/set-up an account on PhotoBucket. Then it's just a matter of uploading the selected pics and copying/pasting them over to a website. There are several tutorials on "posting pictures" either here or certainly over on the Parker site. And FWIW, I too would get that side-panel crack attended to, ASAP. CE-20's are damn rare birds and deserve only the highest quality repair and preservation efforts! Good luck.
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
tony williamson

Post by tony williamson »

don't shoot it anymore. that will become a sliver, seen a bunch of that. bill Schwarz out of elijay ga can fix it nicely.