Foxers at the Southern SxS

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
mhead

Re: Foxers at the Southern SxS

Post by mhead »

Thanks. Mike and Frank for the info on the k grade and. the. info on the super20 . hope to pick it up this weekend . It was a pleasure meeting and talking to you. Hope to see you at the next venue .Mike. H.
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

It was good to meet up with everyone I saw as well. Thanks for letting me pick your brain on the triggers Frank.
Neil
Student gunsmith
http://guns.claasen.us/
SmithShady

Post by SmithShady »

Yes, another Southern has come and gone, and I'm sad to see it go. It was great catching up and spending time with friends, and especially putting new faces with names from this site. The only drawback I can think of is that a new Fox didn't follow me home, even though I tried my best to find one! Like Frank, I tried to get a price out of the Gent that purchased that SCREAMER walk in CE, but was unsuccessful. I even found another 30" Sterlingworth 20ga on Sunday, but the wood had been replaced and the DAH was over 3 inches so I passed.

Frank, I went back on Sunday to ask again about that CE, and the gun was sitting on the table of the dealer to his right! Seeing it on a different table, I picked it up to ask the price. The guy was very quick to tell me that it wasn't for sale, that he had just purchased it for himself. I congratulated him on getting it away from the guy, and he did offer that he paid considerably more than he would have liked in order to obtain it. I still want to know what that number was. :evil:

Mike it was great to meet you in person, and I'm glad to hear that you were able to make a deal on that gun. It sure was a nice one, and from the sound of it will help to round out part of your collection.

I spent a good deal of time with some friends from the PGCA and AHFCA shooting at another local sporting clays course to avoid the long lines at Deep River. We shot two rounds on Friday and two on Saturday, with the first round being report pairs, and the second round all true pairs (talk about fun). The course is called Drake Landing, and Southern Hospitality was on display, with Dan (the owner) feeding us a free lunch of Barbecue, Smoked Turkey, Brisket, Baked Beans, Coleslaw and Sweet Tea both days. I would consider Drake's to be my "home course" being so close to where I live. Everyone had such a good time, there was already talk of coming down a day early next year to get an extra day of shooting in at Drake's. Dan took us around after lunch on Saturday and showed us the makings of a second course he's getting ready to put in. Lucky me!

I did a fair amount of shooting at Deep River as well, competing as many did to try out for Team Parker or Team Smith on the five stands. Two challenging events of 30 clays on each stand, which I believe were set up by Rick Hemingway from Back Woods Quail Club (home of the Fall Southern) proved to be too much for me this year, and I didn't even come close to qualifying. I shot the same five stand on Sunday for Team Parker in the Hammer Gun event, but didn't fare too well there either. Unhappy with my scores, I went back on Sunday afternoon and shot my Fox XE just to prove to myself that I could shoot a good score on those targets. Turns out I was right :D .

Shooting at the Southern already has me looking forward to Hausmann's, even though I'm not sure I'll be able to make it this year. I keep asking myself, how important is your son's 4th Birthday, really? Unfortunately, I already know that answer to that one. :oops:

Mike
"Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Big Friend Ten

Post by Big Friend Ten »

This is our friend Mike at Drakes Landing loading a wonderful CE Fox with 26" barrels!

Here he is with a Parker

Mike and Parker friends wishing we were 20 or 30 years younger :lol:

Target bouncing off the water and being missed!

Me, aka Big Friend Ten, shooting a 10 gauge Parker just because I can!

Daryl, Mike, and Eric admiring a CSMC DE Fox 20 gauge

Another Parker 10 gauge, a B grade restored!

Mike shot this photo of me with a 36" Parker 10 gauge. Okay Fox guys, I'll bring a big Fox to Hausmanns!!!

Photos of the shooting stations and scenery at Drakes Landing!

Mills

Post by Mills »

Great photos! That 36 inch 10 gauge is nice!
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Great photos. Thanks for posting.
Share the knowledge